CHAPTER 48 - TIP TOE

When Harry woke, there were soft footsteps circling around him. Then, the sound of dishes clinking against a wooden table to his left, and then more footsteps.

The smell was dusty and stuffy, opposite to the woods where he'd been living for the past year.

His chest fluttered with joy at the realization: He won. Voldemort was dead.

"Hey you," Harry said, stretching beneath the cozy quilted blankets.

"I'm sorry," Draco whispered. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"You didn't," he yawned and finally opened his eyes.

Draco wore a nervous smile as he walked back to the table and placed down the teacup in his hand. It was next to a second one, which had steam swirling from it. "Been rotating for a few hours. Wanted you to have hot tea when you woke up."

"Why didn't you just use a heating charm?" Harry furrowed his brows.

Draco blushed. "Because then I wouldn't get to check on you."

Harry grinned before looking around the room and then back at Draco, taking note that Draco was in it. Draco had never seen Grimmauld Place before. To know he was here was just a sign of the success within the past day. "This is a dream."

"Hm?"

"I've never been able to wake up and not feel dread or angst or fear or anxiety. Maybe a handful of days in my entire life." Harry rolled over so he could face Draco. "I feel completely calm. Like this massive weight I've had since I was one year old has been lifted off of my shoulders. I-I don't even... I didn't know that the human body could actually be this calm."

"That's amazing." Draco sat on the edge of the bed, careful not to overstep any imaginary boundary that was there. Really, there weren't any, but Draco didn't care. He wanted to respect Harry's space until he told him it was okay. They still had damage to get through together.

Sure, Draco told him he loved him. Harry loved him back. But was now the time for a relationship?

They didn't know. How were they supposed to know?

"How are you," Harry asked, reaching out and grabbing his hand, squeezing it.

Draco's heart fluttered at his touch. It'd been so long since he was touched so gently. This type of touch was so unfamiliar, he almost pulled away because he was expecting pain. Still, Draco answered, "Safe. I feel safe for the first time since I was branded. Probably the safest I've felt since before the Third Task in the Triwizard, actually."

"This is the safest I've ever felt." He wiped his sleepy eyes. "He's gone. Truly gone. I can feel it. I can't believe we did it."

"I can believe you did it. I just can't believe the time is now. I thought it was going to be decades like the First Wizarding War. And don't get me wrong, it's been a rough two years, but compared to what I thought it would be." Harry listened and then scooted over, patting the spot next to him. Draco blinked. "Really?"

"Yeah, you should have been with me all last night, too. You don't need to separate yourself from me."

"I wanted you to have your space." Draco licked his lips and still hesitated. "You trust me enough to sleep next to me?"

"Oh my God, Draco. You saved my life so many times. Of course I trust you. Get up here and enjoy this."

Draco's heart swooned, and he climbed into the bed. Their shoulders brushed and Harry scooted closer to him, throwing his blanket over him, which was warm from his body heat. Draco reached forward and brushed hair behind Harry's ear, causing him to shiver.