CHAPTER 38 - REPAIR

The train chugged in the pristine winter snow, dark clouds reflecting Draco's mood. He sat across from Pansy and Blaise in his usual spot, but he didn't speak to them at all. He wouldn't tell them about his break and everything that happened until later that evening when they were alone in his bedroom and he could break down in their arms without everyone around to see him.

"I have something for you." The whisper came next to his ear, making him jump. Draco turned next to him, and of course, no one was visible, but Harry's smell filled his nose. "Bathroom?"

Draco furrowed his eyebrows, but didn't say anything. Harry's smell disappeared and Draco stood with a tight throat to follow him.

There were several stalls, and Draco entered the only one that was unlocked, swiftly locking it behind him. Harry immediately shed his invisibility cloak and hugged him. There was barely enough room for the two of them, the toilet, and the sink. They rocked to the chug of the train. "Happy New Year."

Draco's eyes welled, but he was able to hide it from Harry as he squeezed him tight, burying his face into his neck. It could be the last time he'd ever hear those words and say it back. "Happy New Year."

"I'm sad I didn't get to spend it kissing you. It would've been the best way to start it off."

Draco gave a weak smile, and Harry leant up to kiss him. The feeling made Draco tremble, and the rocking of the train made them break apart, Draco falling back against the wall, Harry against the sink. To solve the problem, Harry jumped and sat back on it, grabbing Draco's waist and pulling it forward, then wrapping his arms around his back. Draco grabbed his face and kissed him like it would be the last time. Because at some point, it would be. It was best to prepare now.

"Mm, definitely missed out on this." Then the train jerked again, causing Harry to hit his head on the mirror. "Okay, stupid idea."

"How was break?" Draco's voice came in a small crack.

"The Weasley's house got attacked."

Draco remembered them mention it during their stupid Death Eater meeting but had zoned out when the Dark Lord commanded them not to kidnap Harry or maim anyone. "Really?"

Harry furrowed his eyebrows at his lack of reaction. "Yeah, it was kinda a big deal."

"Mm. Oh, right. Sorry," Draco said, covering his lack of reaction. "Not feeling well. Is everything okay?"

"Their house is in ruins but no one got hurt." And then Harry looked him up and down. "You look like shit. Sorry. I mean, I didn't get a good look at you before. Worse than before we left."

Draco swallowed. "My father's out of Azkaban."

"I saw in the papers," Harry frowned. Then he reached forward and rubbed his shoulder. "What did he do to you?"

Draco choked. "He's just... cruel. I don't want to think about it. I just want to see you."

"Are you okay?"

"He's such an arsehole, Harry," Draco reached forward and hugged him as if it was his last breath. Harry held him tight, his warmth and kindness too good for Draco. "You have no idea."

"It's okay," Harry whispered in his ear and then kissed his cheek. Draco held back his tears, doing his best to enjoy Harry in his arms.

"Was Voldemort there?"

Draco's arm pulsed. "Only for a day," Draco said. "I hid in the attic." Which wasn't a complete lie. It was just two truths broken up and put together.

Harry held him harder, and Draco, despite his burning arm, welcomed him openly.