CHAPTER 25 - A FAVOR

The entire DA had three hours worth of detention every day for the next two weeks. Sitting in a room full of people he put there sharing was both humiliating and demoralizing. And by the end of it, his sweater was soaked with blood because it kept running down the top of his hand.

And now everyone would have matching scars that he did. As if the guilt wasn't punishment enough, he'd always be reminded of how he hurt his classmates.

During their last DADA class of the first week, Umbridge approached Harry once the bell rang as the students packed up without a whisper.

"Mr. Potter, we cannot complete your extra time tonight. We'll have to schedule it for Friday."

"Headmistress," Draco slung his bag over his shoulder, approaching the two of them with a smirk on his face, "if I may lend my services instead, I can take care of Potter. We won't want to be behind schedule. There's so many more students to torture—I mean, discipline. I fear if you double book, there's a greater chance of them ambushing or trying to attack you. Potter should be alone."

"So long as you feel you will do an adequate job. More than last time."

"I'll go as hard on him as I possibly can. Trust me, I'm more than delighted to do so."

Harry tried not to look relieved.

"Very well, return to my office at seven, Potter."

Harry didn't say anything, though his heart smiled. He'd get to hang out with Draco twice this week. And he'd get out of a torture session.

When they arrived at the Common Room, Hermione stopped him.

"Harry, don't go," she said.

"What do you mean? It's detention. I have to."

"But... it's with Malfoy. What if he does something bad to you?"

"Can't be worse than Umbridge."

"Umbridge is an adult who knows how to stop."

"Does she? I haven't seen that quality in her."

Hermione frowned. "Malfoy alone with you is going to be dangerous."

"How? He's a ferret. I could disarm him any day." Harry did his best to play along. He got to see Draco. He got to see Draco. "Even without magic, I could take him."

"Yes, but he has unlimited power. You don't know what alternative motive he has. Umbridge just wants you to be submissive. Malfoy wants revenge." Technically, he already got revenge. And then Harry got revenge back. And now they're boyfriends. "I'm not overreacting. I don't want you to get hurt. Malfoy's father is a Death Eater and a lot of Death Eaters were just broken out of Azkaban. You don't know if he might be learning dark magic or not. He could be passing information off to Voldemort."

"Regardless, I have to do detention. It'll be fine. It's only for an hour. Umbridge wants a scar on my hand. There's not much that he can do beyond that."

Hermione frowned in concern. "Be careful."

"I will."

She followed him out, finding Ron sitting in the Common Room, hand as equally sore as hers.

"I don't know what's gotten into him. He doesn't even seem to care that he has detention with Malfoy."

"Malfoy's a git. But Harry can take him."

"He won't be allowed to fight back. I have a bad feeling that Malfoy's going to hurt him, and Harry won't be able to defend himself because they're going to take his wand."