CHAPTER 51 - CAGE

For the first time in too long of a time, they were happy. Happy together, happy with what they did each day. It felt better than their kindest dreams and surpassed their wildest expectations.

They woke up naturally, cuddling, usually naked and with visible hickeys from the previous night's adventures. They couldn't help how addictive sex was. It just felt so amazing, a vessel to show the absolute love they had for each other.

So sometimes they went for another round, and others, it was just sweet kisses paired with a soft, "Hey you."

"I will never get used to waking up to you," Draco would say, truth only.

Harry would smile and kiss his bare shoulder.

When they felt like it, they'd get up, sore but delighted, shower, and go eat. Draco would help him cook (he was very good at adding a dash of salt whenever requested). From then on, it was whatever they wanted: Laying together and reading a book, drawing or painting, exploding snaps, sex, kisses, cuddling, napping, massages, joke telling—anything to bond with each other.

Sex was fun. Sex felt good. Sex was safe.

You didn't have to talk about how many people you've tortured when you were busy screaming your lover's name. You didn't have to be afraid of someone leaving when they were inside you. It was hard to have nightmares when you were doing something you've dreamed about for years.

And the alternative to sex was unappetizing: confronting what they'd just witnessed, and addressing the deep-rooted events that led up to it. The trauma. The years of pain. The loss of youth.

Of course they'd choose pleasure. Of course they'd choose fun, happy, loving sex as long as they possibly could. They loved their paradise. They loved their lives. They loved each other.

And though there was a thought in the back of their head of we probably shouldn't be so happy right now, all things considered, they ignored it.

Because they'd waited too damn long for a paradise.

Except they lived in a world where paradise seldom existed. Deep down, they knew it would end at one point.

They didn't know when, so they took advantage of loving every moment with each other, making time stretch and last.

Two weeks into their adventures, they'd adjusted so well to the paradise that it was normal to them; what was so odd about it was that neither of them had paradise as a normalcy. They were both shocked that they could even adjust in such a way.

They found paradise in their ability to even let themselves sleep deeply. Draco was usually an incredibly light sleeper, and so was Harry. They had to be under the circumstances they were in. But now, they slept as late as they wanted to, as deeply as they wanted to. Because, for once, they felt safe in doing so. Hell, they didn't even have to worry about being late for class.

Draco had the worst habit of it—how could he help it? Harry made the bed so warm and he was so cozy and he felt so loved. Draco was usually a prompt person, always woke up early, but there was something about this type of freedom that let all restraints and discipline he had on himself disappear.

Harry tried to find ways to wake him up, though. It started with shoulder kisses. Then neck kisses. Then face kisses, mouth kisses. Draco would huff and stretch, but it took more effort.

Hands down naked hips was a good alarm clock but not suitable for all days, so Harry had to get creative.

Once, he put chocolate under his nose. It took a few seconds for Draco to wake and recognize it, but then he licked it, and Harry kissed it off of him.