CHAPTER 47 - WAR

The scary thing about being safe is not the actual feeling, but rather, the safety being taken away. Draco was forced to go back to the Manor following a break into Gringott's—what the fuck was Harry doing breaking into Gringotts?

He got to watch as every guard protecting Bellatrix's vault get tortured and murder by the Dark Lord himself in a fit of rage, which was traumatizing in it self.

Griphook was dead. And the Dark Lord was vicious. What if he did that to Harry? What if he captured him?

They weren't out of the woods by any means, and any safety they felt was a facade.

That night, Draco was in his room, packing to go back to Hogwarts, when there was a bone-chilling knock at his door. It wasn't Narcissa, he could tell by the aggression.

Draco threw his bag on the floor on the other side of the bed where the curtain and blankets would hide it from sight.

Bellatrix opened the door, a look of seriousness hiding her insanity. "The boy, Potter. He's at Hogwarts. The Dark Lord is calling all Death Eaters to attack." Draco's heart pounded in his ears. "You have another mission. Go to the Room of Requirement. You have to find the Ravenclaw Diadem and protect it with your life. Bring it to me. Hide it so no one knows you have it. If you can't find me, you're to hide it somewhere far from Hogwarts."

"You want me to hide a crown?" Draco spoke in a monotone, hiding his fear. "I imagine if I fail I'll be killed."

She smirked. "Good pet. And if you see Potter anywhere along the way, you run. Potter can't be anywhere near the Diadem. Understood?"

Draco nodded. "Yes."

She left without another word.

A diadem? Why does the Dark Lord care about a stupid crown?

Draco swallowed and took several breaths. Harry was at Hogwarts. What the hell was he doing at Hogwarts, that bloody idiot! Does he not know what's going to happen?

Take a breath, Draco.

New mission: Find the Ravenclaw Diadem and give it directly to Harry. Don't get killed. Don't let Harry get killed.

Got it.

Within seconds, Draco apparated.

—————————————————

On his way from the dungeons, Draco saw a familiar figure, one rushing, and Draco did his best to ignore it, pretending it wasn't him because they weren't supposed to see each other ever again. See you tomorrow—like the fucker knew he'd come here.

But it was almost as if Harry was following him from in front of him because they both faced the Room of Requirement.

And couldn't he pretend for just one second that he and Harry were going in to lay on their bed and cuddle and share gossip and kiss until morning? Couldn't he pretend for one second?

Draco's breath caught in his throat. He looked around, making sure no one else was there, and then he smirked.

Harry entered and Draco rushed behind him, though missed him as Harry hunted in the abyss.

Ravenclaw Diadem. Harry must've been looking for it, too.

Potter can't be anywhere near the Diadem. Understood?

Ha. Draco was gonna find the diadem and throw it at Harry's face.

They both searched, and Harry still didn't know that Draco was there. Maybe he could sneak it to him without him noticing—they weren't supposed to see each other again. Draco couldn't put Harry in harm's way.