Cold Hot Air Balloon

He came back. He always came back.

Every time that I was left alone he walks right into the room and sits at the edge of my bed. He’d bring little things, like a single flower, a pinkie ring, a scented candle…or chocolate (which if you asked me was torture seeing as I couldn’t eat it). He’d tell me what went on that day, if nothing happened he’d Google a story and read it to me.

He was making it increasingly more impossible to hate him.

Today he came in bright and early with a picture frame.

“Morning Vick” he says brightly, like I was able to reply. “I brought you something I thought you might like”

He walked to the table besides my bed and drops a hybrid rectangular-heart shaped photo frame.

I ghost gasp.

It was a picture of my parents.

He sat down besides my left side as per usual. I was standing on the opposite side next to my head, gaping at the picture.

“I know it can never be as good as the real thing…but sometimes we have to treasure what little of them we got” Johnny looks at the picture sorrowfully.

Don’t forget, Johnny also lost both his parents, in a car crash no less.

“I was very young when I lost them” Johnny says out of the blue. “Sometimes, if I don’t concentrate hard enough, I actually forget what my mother looked like…”

I rush over to him and instinctively give him a hug. My arms whooshed right through him.

“I’d give anything to see them just one more time, for just one more second.” He digs his hand in his hair, “A picture can never really capture the real thing” he mutters, hanging his head down.

“No it can’t” I agree, looking at my parent’s picture.

My Dad, all big and ruff haired, was standing behind my mom with a big smile and his arms wrapped around her, he wasn’t super huge or muscular, but he was really built from years of physical training. My Mom was laughing, trying to push my Dad off her in a vain attempt, but her eyes were alight with love for the man behind her as her pin straight hair danced in the wind.

No other thing in my life possessed or captured as much love as that single picture did.

“You know your strong right?” Johnny held my hand and that tingle feeling came back, “No other sane person could lose such great parents like that and still be able to wake up the next day and smile”

He was right.

“Although we have already established the fact that you aren’t sane” he huffs out a dry laugh. “Otherwise you wouldn’t have gone out with Wade or tried in any way to fight Taskmaster”

I stifle a giggle.

“But today isn’t supposed to be all doomy and gloomy” Johnny sits up straighter and smiles brightly at me. “Cause I came to sing you a song”

“Say what?” I blurt out.

“I know I’m not a singer or songwriter-”

“Or anyone with musical talent” I interject.

“-but your absence has really taken its toll on your friends. David is on the brink of snapping and Sara is talking to herself,”

Oh waw…..I knew David was eventually bound to go off the deep end sometime in his life but Sara too!?