Anybody Want Hot Choco?

“This is hopeless!” I whine as sat crossed leg – Indian style? I think they call it – on the floor with Sara and David and a million and one papers spread around us.

“No it’s not” Sara says optimistically.

She frantically searches through the papers and brings one up with a triumphant smile.

“Ou! I got it” she wiggles the paper in the air. “One Direction’s-”

“NO!” David and I yelled.

“I am not singing a 1D song” David said firmly.

“But they’re the bomb” Sara says, as if this was enough of an argument.

I put my arms around her, “Sure they are sweetheart, but the people who pretend to hate them will kill us if we sing a One Direction song to the whole of New York”

“Fine” Sara says gloomily.

“Why don’t we just write a song?” David asked.

“In 3 days? With beats and rifts and lyrics?” I looked at him like the idiot he was, “Bitch you crazy”

“Well most of the songs here are either purely male or female singers” David says waving them around, “And you insist on singing even though you know you can’t”

I glare at him but stay silent.

“Well everything would be easier if you also didn’t insist on singing” I retort.

“I don’t care how gay this sounds but my voice must be heard!” David answers.

“Yeah, and I must have a killer guitar solo” I say.

“And my drum solo” Sara pipes in.

Me and David were too busy glaring at each other to notice her.

“If you get a guitar solo then I need one too” David said.

“You play bass!”

“Not always.”

“You just want attention”

“No, I want girls to know how awesome I am”

“An awesome loser”

“That doesn’t make sense!”

“How about Pharrell’s ‘Happy’?” Sara says lifting another paper and dutifully ignoring our bickering.

“No” we answered, then looked at each other and continued arguing.

“Big Time Rush?” Sara asked.

“Yes!” David yelled.

“What!?” I says, then I look to Sara. “Girl, I love BTR more than the average sane fangirl but NO WAY!”

“Becky G and Will.I.Am ‘I’m A Monster?’” she says looking at another paper. “Both male and female sing” she adds.

“Hmmm” I think.

“It could work,” David said, “But this is a summer concert, it should be a summer song not something for Halloween.”

“True” I agree and point to him.

Sara pushes the papers away from herself in anger, “You’re right, this is hopeless”

“C’mon guys don’t give up” I repeat Sara’s words, now that she was giving up I felt more determined. “We’ll find that song”

“Why don’t we just sing a love song?” David asked, “It can work for a summer type song”

“What about all the couples that broke up or ended their summer flings?” I say, getting up and folding my arms.