Second Night

You

Dark. You'd gotten so caught up with Mark today you almost forgot about him. His eyes are a white hot burn; his lips a tight line. He radiates a quiet anger. The soft shadows that normally drift around him have condensed around his body with cruel, razor sharp edges. This wasn't irritation — it was true anger. "—-," He said your name like a threat; his voice booming. You could hear the scrape of metal on metal and agonized screams in the distance as he spoke. "If you're trying to make me jealous you're doing a wonderful job. I should really congratulate you." He flickered away only to reappear inches from your face a split second later. "Don't get cocky. You belong to me!" You're so terrified you can't even speak.

He yanks down the collar of your shirt to reveal the bandaged mark. He sneers at the bandage and tears it off forcefully. You let out a squeak of pain as the bandage is torn off, leaving red marks from the hastily removed adhesive. Dark gets so close your noses are practically touching and presses the palm of his hand against the healing wound, left by his teeth, and it begins to bleed again. Tears start to drip from your eyes as Darkiplier growls at you through bared teeth. "I made you mine last night and you loved it. You are MINE. Don't make me want to hurt you — because I can." Your blood runs cold at those last words. You realize that Dark could hurt you, and maybe even kill you, if the fancy ever took him. He isn't just a creepy, bad boy version of Mark. He's a monster, and you let him into your bed. You crack and let out deep sobs that make your chest ache. You hear something stir down the hall. "Shit!" Dark exclaims before vanishing in a puff of smoke.

Mark

You jolt awake at the sound of crying coming from the guest room. You quickly put on your glasses before heading down the hall. "—-! Are you okay?" You shout from the outside of the door. She manages to let out a weak sounding "No" in between sobs. You open the door to find —- sprawled on the bed and in tears. You turn on the light and you both blink for awhile as your eyes adjust. Then you see it. The bandage on her collar bone has been torn off, and the bite mark has started bleeding again. There is a black handprint — as if someone had pressed a stained hand against the wound. You hold her gently and she buries her head in your shoulder. You stroke her hair with one of your hands and she wraps her arms around your neck, pulling you closer, still sobbing hysterically. You decide you should clean and redress the wound to help calm her down before asking any questions. You very carefully pick —- up bridal style and carry her to the bathroom. She still clings to your neck desperately as you set her back down.

You kneel down on the floor and just hold her. You don't know what else to do. You stroke her hair and whisper against her shoulder. "I don't know what happened, but it's gonna be okay. I'm here now. Nothing can hurt you while I'm here. It's okay now. It's okay." Eventually, the tears stop and she calms down enough to talk to you. She lets go of you and you hand her some toilet paper to dry off her tears. You walk over to the medicine cabinet to grab a first-aid kit. You turn around and walk back towards —-. She looks so fragile, like she's just seen a ghost. Her body curled around itself like a half-hearted fist. It damn near breaks your heart to see —- like this. You pull out a cotton ball and some alcohol to clean the wound. "Sorry, this might sting a little." You say as you begin to dab at the wound. —- won't look you in the eyes. You wipe away the blood and disinfect the wound but the black mark won't come off. What is this? Even permanent marker comes off with rubbing alcohol! You grab a fresh cotton ball and wet it then begin to rub at the mark again, a little more vigorously this time. She lets out a pained squeak and you stop. "—-, what happened to you?" You ask.

You

Mark asks you what happened and you freeze. What do I say? No matter what I tell him he won't believe me. I mean, who wakes up from a nightmare with a tattoo? You hate to lie to him but you don't know what to say. "I...I don't know. I had a nightmare...and...and when I woke up...I still had the handprint. Then, my...my bandage was gone...and I was...I was bleeding too." You stutter.  Well, I'm not lying to him. I'm just leaving a few things out. He rubbed your arm and looked you in the eyes with a heartbroken look. "I don't know what's happening either, and I'm sorry I couldn't protect you from...whatever this is. I'll try though. Just let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I can't rest knowing that...someone I care about...isn't safe." He murmured in a slightly pained voice. You can't help but notice how he emphasized the word "care". No! Don't get your hopes up! I'm probably just a passing fancy. Dark made it sound like Mark had me on his mind for a while now though...Don't get your hopes up! 

"Um...we should probably...probably...put a bandage on this before it stains my clothes." you stammer, fighting back a blush. Mark gets back up with a start and grabs some gauze and medical tape. You think you see a slight flush on the apples of his cheeks, but it's gone by the time he looks back at you. He carefully bandages the wound, and you pull the neck of your shirt back up. Mark starts to head back to his room and you grab his arm. "I know you probably need your sleep, but do you think you could stay up? Just this once? I don't wanna go back to sleep tonight."  You ask. "Sure, do you want to play some games or something then?" He replies with that killer smile of his. You can't help but smile back at him. "Sounds good. Just no horror, okay?"