It's for the Best

Mark

-- is sitting in a heap next to the wall; she looks flustered. The collar of her shirt is stretched down, yet again, to reveal the mark from technically last night. You pull yourself up off the couch groggily. "--, are you okay? Did anything happen while I was asleep?" You ask. She seems to snap back into reality as you say this. She tries to get up but her legs wobble and she crumples back to the ground. You quickly close the distance between the two of you and kneel down to her level. "Do you have a fever or something? You could have woken me up you know." -- looks at you, turns even redder, pulls her hands to her chest, and then looks away. "Oh no, what did I do while I was sleeping? I've been having...those sort of dreams a lot lately and if I did something that made you uncomfortable I sincerely apologize. I'll only sleep in my room from now on." You say hastily.

-- grabs your arm gently and says "It's fine. I mean, it wasn't exactly you." You hear her add under her breath "Not that I would have minded..." and it makes you blush ever so slightly. So I guess she thinks of me that way too. Yes! *mental fist pump* Wait, did she just say that "it wasn't exactly" me? "What do you mean 'it wasn't exactly' me?" you ask as you help her to her feet. -- looks nervous and bites her lip. Her legs still seem a bit weak so you hold her steady. She rests her head on your chest for a moment before trying to articulate a response.

You

How do I explain it to Mark without sounding bat shit crazy? You shift your feet so you are supporting your own weight and take a deep breath. There's no way around it I suppose... You tell him everything, well, almost everything. You leave out the sordid details of your encounters with Darkiplier (there are some things you don't talk about in polite company, and evil sex twin encounters are one of them). Mark lets go of you and brushes a hand through his hair. "Wow, that's...a thing. It's a little hard to believe, but it's not like any other explanation would make much more sense. So I have a subconscious, astral form thing?" You nod. "And it's Darkiplier?" You nod again. "And he's a perverted douche?" You give a third nod. "Subconscious, I'm disappointed in you. At least let me remember some details!" Mark says with a nervous chuckle. You give him a playful slap on the arm. "I guess you don't really need to stay here then - or call Animal Control." He looks a little sad as he says this but quickly puts a smile back on and continues. "That's great, --! You can go back to your own apartment then. It was fun having a roommate these past couple days though." You can't help but feel a little disappointed that he didn't ask you to stay.

Mark

If this whole thing is true then -- is in danger if she stays here. I thought maybe I'd give the whole dating thing another shot, but it's for the best that I keep my distance. Damn. You sigh and let go of her. You still have to do some recording and she needs to pack so you don't see each other much for the rest of the morning. After an hour and a half or so of recording you give up; your normal energy just isn't there. You'll have to redo it once you've gotten some sleep and/or spent some time feeling sorry for yourself. You move about the house mechanically, lost in your own thoughts, and fail to notice the hushed sobs coming from your guest room upstairs. You do however notice --'s red, puffy eyes when she comes back downstairs with her things. Shit. I'm such a fucking asshole. You reach your hand out to touch her but stop yourself. It's better if it ends like this. -- will get over me, and then she can pretend this never happened. Yeah, it's probably best if she thinks I was just another jerk.

You drive her home in silence. She mutters a "Thank you." as she climbs out of the car. She slams the door behind her and trudges towards her house. You don't take your eyes off of her until she makes it safely inside. Just as -- is about to close the door behind her, she gives you one last, dejected, look. It practically snaps your heart in two. You almost spring up and chase after her, but you don't. It's for the best. You tell yourself. It's for the best.