Making Plans

You

You finally make it home after spending the whole day under a barrage of nosy questions and unwelcome comments from your coworkers. You were just an hour away from the end of your shift when you finally cracked under the pressure. Now your nosiest coworker knows that you had sex last night, that is was good, that it was with someone you've hooked up with before, AND that he keeps disappearing on you in the morning (though your coworker doesn't know you mean it literally). The subsequent teasing was god awful, but you had to admit -- it was nice to get it all off your chest.  You begin to relax and find yourself wondering if you have any leftovers from your pity party the other day, so you head to the kitchen. It is most certainly not how you left it. 

A sigh of bewilderment leaves your lips as you gaze upon the single black rose sitting in a vase, that you've never seen before, resting on top of a note on your counter. "Are you fucking kidding me right now with this?" You sigh as you retrieve the slip of paper.

Dear ___,

As much as I've been enjoying the mind numbing sex, I want you to know that there is more to me than just sex, sarcasm, and spookiness. I mean, why do you think I visit you every night? It's because that's what I want to spend my time doing. You're what I want to spend my time doing.

I'm not stupid; I know you're pretty heartbroken about Mark. It's obvious. I don't really know how to help, but I definitely don't want to see you crying over him. I'm the only one allowed to make you cry. Besides, he isn't worth it -- trust me, I'd know.

I want to prove to you that we could be more than just... whatever we are. I care about you, and I want you to trust me. Please say you'll give me a chance to prove it to you. I'll come by again tonight for your answer.

Yours,

Dark

"Oh, he is smooth."

Mark

This just hasn't been your week. It's just been fuck up after fuck up. First, you find out ___ got hurt because of you. Then, you kick her out of your house to "protect" her. Next, you find out that it didn't help, she's mad at you, and that she's fucking your doppelganger -- all at once. Finally, you find out that Dark can read all your thoughts, and that he's an absolute cock waffle. Not to mention that you suspect he's up to something. For a mocking voice in your head, Dark shut up pretty quickly; you really can't help but be suspicious. 

"Dark aside, I should talk to ___. I've been a bad...whatever I am to her and an even worse friend." You sigh. Apologies are always hard, and an uncertain relationship status makes it even harder. "I can't just waltz up with flowers and go 'Sorry I'm a douche and keep getting you hurt. Take these and also maybe go on another date with me sometime.' Calling her seems too impersonal, but going to her house seems stalker-y. Not to mention that the last thing ___ needs is another personal space invader. Why didn't I just talk to her? Why is apologizing so difficult?!"

Unfortunately, your little rant fails to produce a life altering epiphany, and you are forced to face your problems like an adult. After some more brainstorming you come up with a plan. "Alright, first I call her, tell her I want to apologize in person, and offer to meet up somewhere neutral. That way she can choose if, when, and where she wants to see me. Next, I show up at the designated place with a small gift: enough to say 'I am sorry.' but not enough that it seems to say 'I am trying to buy your forgiveness.' Finally, we talk about our feelings like adults, and hopefully we end up closer for it."

You

"Really, my phone goes off two minutes after I get in the door?" You dig the offending device from your purse and answer it. 

"Hey, I just got home. Who is i--."

"It's me... Mark."

"Mark? Seriously, you're calling me now."

"I'm calling because I want to apologize."

"I could've used an apology about a week ago!"

"I know. All I've done is get you hurt, but I'm not asking for you to forgive me. I just want you to know that I realize I screwed up."

"Good, because you did screw up."

"Yeah...Yeah I did. I'd like to see you, if you're willing, so I can apologize in person."

"What? I...I can't. I'm busy tonight."

"That's fine. I just meant it as an open ended sort of thing. Just, let me know when and where I should meet you, and I'll be there."

"Uh...Sure I'll um... Listen, can I get back to you tomorrow?"

"Of course. Of course. So, talk to you tomorrow then I guess."

"Yeah. Bye."

"Buh-bye."

Mark hangs up first, and you're left standing there stunned. "I can't believe they both apologized." You mutter.

Mark

"___ just talked to me." You say astonished.

Dark

"I have to stop this little party before it starts." You snarl.