CHAPTER 10

WARNING

This chapter contains detailed sex scenes, oral sex and death.If you are not comfortable with this topic please don't read.

Enjoy ❤

Amaya POV

I walk with the gun pointed in front of me.
The only light is the red emergency neon that giving the corridors a sinister air.
Here below the screams from the upper floors are barely audible.
Sharon walks beside me, the gun ready for use.
All around us only rubble and smoke.
“The prisons are one floor below.The elevators are all gone, we will have to go up the stairs hoping they have withstood the explosions” Sharon informs me.
Her information is short and concise.
Her sense of duty is greater than any other feeling at the moment.
If I had been in her place, I don't know if I could have been so professional.
Collaborating with the woman who not even 48 hours before stole your man requires a great deal of willpower.
"Great" I sigh.
We continue our descent, check every room to make sure they are all safe.
"And I thought you were just Fury's boring and faithful secretary"
I turn to Sharon lifting a corner of my lips.
She continues with her monologue.
"And instead you are a killer, one of the best.Isn't that true Agent Zero?" she asks me.
I check around the corner and see that the passage is free.
"I see you've done your homework Agent Carter"
"The enemy must be studied"
"I'm not the enemy Sharon"
She looks at me with a skeptical expression.
I roll my eyes.
I know it is not the most suitable time but I am sure that such an opportunity will never happen to me again.
I grab her by the arm and stop her, check the room on my right and once I'm sure it's safe I enter dragging her with me.
"Listen to me Sharon, I know this is not the time and maybe it never will be but I wanted to apologize to you" I tell her in one breath.
“I never meant to take James away from you.I was wrong I know but I want you to know that I tried…I really tried to stay away from him.I tried with all of myself”
Sharon continues to remain silent and I take the opportunity to tell her everything that is wearing out my soul.
“I know you will think that I am doing all this to wash my conscience but I assure you that it is not.I have always respected you as a woman.As an agent.I respect your family.Your family is the reason why today I am a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, your family have always been a role model for my parents and for me.I'm sorry.I'm sorry I hurt you in the worst way a woman could be hurt.I hate myself for it but...but I love James.I really love him more than anything else.And I know you still love him too…and I…I don't…”
I run a hand through my hair trying to collect my thoughts.
“I'm sorry Sharon.I know that with my apologies you will wipe your ass off”
I see her giggle a little but as soon as she becomes aware of her peat immediately serious, her hazel gaze hard and sharp.
“I'm not asking for your forgiveness because I know I don't deserve it but I'm asking you to forgive James.Even if you feel hurt and don't believe him, know that you are one of the most important people in his life.You have always been there for him.And even if he doesn't say it so as not to hurt me, I know that he is suffering a lot from the whole situation.God!If he knew what I'm telling you...but it doesn't matter!I am convinced that you must know.He is bad without you.Please, please talk to him”
Sharon's eyes moisten.
I continue undeterred, the minutes are numbered and I have to tell her everything I think.
“If I could go back I would change a lot of things…but I can't…” I sigh wearily
“I just want him to be happy and I feel like shit telling you but he wasn't happy with you.He was suffering.He suffered and no one noticed.You have never noticed"
The woman in front of me looks at me with an unreadable expression on her face, wipes her eyes with the back of her hand and heads for the door.
"We have to go" are the only words that come out of her lips.
I sigh in resignation and return to focus on the mission.
I tried.
I hope someday she and Bucky can clear up.
We leave the semi-destroyed room and set out again along the dark and dusty corridors.
An imperceptible noise draws my attention by putting all my senses on alert.
I reach out my arm in front of Sharon, stopping her path, she looks at me with a questioning look.
I signal her to be quiet and pointing to my ear, I suggest at her to listen carefully.
We remain motionless for about 20 seconds, carefully scrutinizing everything around us.
That noise again.
It sounds like a moan and seems to come from the room to our left.
I nod to Sharon and walk over to her.
"I go forward.Cover my shoulders.And whatever happens go away, don't wait for me” I whisper barely audibly.
She looks at me with a strange expression that I cannot decipher.
She nods and positions herself behind me.
Ironic.
I am trusting her to the point of putting my life in her hands when she would have every right to put a bullet in my head and leave my corpse in this rubble.
Once we approach the entrance to the room where the faint lament seems to come from, we exchange a glance, the first to enter is me.
The room is half destroyed, there is rubble everywhere and half of the ceiling has collapsed.
A little movement catches my attention.
A hand appears from under the rubble of the collapsed ceiling and that faint lament repeats itself.
“Sharon run!I need you!" I yell at the woman who stayed at the door to make sure no one came.
Sharon rushes to me on her knees like I just did.
I grab the hand that comes out of that debris and squeeze it.
My squeeze is reciprocated.
"Take courage we will free you immediately" I say trying to instill some courage in this poor unfortunate.
Let's start digging with our hands, as fast as we can.
In the meantime, I activate my earpiece and try to communicate with my team.
“Steve can you hear me?Sam?James?Can you hear me?"
No reply.
Just a buzz.
"We are too low, there is no coverage here.If I'm not mistaken we should be two floors below ground” Sharon tells me with shortness of breath as she continues to move large chunks of the ceiling.
"Damn!" I swear.
I manage to take off the biggest piece and two big dark eyes that I know so well are staring at me.
"Amaya" she whispers and soon after she starts coughing.
Sharon and I look into each other's eyes and get back to work faster than before.
“Hold on Maria.Hold on" I whisper with my heart beating madly.
Maria Hill is the first friend I've ever had.
She is the only person besides Fury who knows my true identity.
And what seemed to be a simple working relationship over the years has grown into a solid friendship.
We had talked on the phone a few hours earlier.
And now she was buried alive struggling to stay conscious.
“Maria stay with me, ok?Breath slowly.We're almost there, a little longer and you'll be free” I tell her looking into her eyes.
Her face is dirty and full of dust.
There is a cut on her forehead where her blood has already congealed.
"I'm fine Amaya.Don't worry”
Her upper body is free.
Now only a large sheet of metal blocks her legs.
"Can you move your legs Maria?" Sharon asks about her, running a hand over her forehead to wipe away the sweat.
“No, I can't but they hurt so I don't think I have any injuries.I'm just stuck”
When she replies, I let go of the breath I didn't know I was holding.
Sharon looks me in the eyes and points her instructions.
“I grab from this side and you stand in front of me.I will count to three and at my three we lift with all the strength we have”
I nod.
"Ok...one, two...three"
On three of her we both leverage our legs and try to lift the heavy metal.
A strangled sound due to the effort comes out of my throat.
The plate lifts about two inches."Maria tries to free you" Sharon murmurs, gritting her teeth with the effort.
Maria, helping herself with her arms, slips her from under the trap.
At the same time, Sharon and I let go of the metal plate that falls to the ground with a deafening noise.
I immediately rush to my friend.
"How are you?Do you think you have something broken?" I ask her.
Maria coughs again and tries to answer me.
"I think...I think..." but she stops because another coughing fit is shaking her.
I look at her in alarm.
When she calms down she tries to speak again.
"No, nothing broken but I'm hurt"
So she saying she lifts her jacket and beneath her a large red stain covers her once immaculate blouse.
I grab the garment and lift it, a fragment of glass protrudes from her side.
Ok, don't panic.
I have to think fast.
But Maria's voice interrupts my thoughts.
“What are you two doing down here?I mean you two together”
I roll my eyes.
She is always the same.
I don't answer her but Sharon does it for me.
“We have to find the Wakandian.Why were you here instead?" Carter asks as she looks carefully at Hill's wound.
“I went down with Rumlow and his men.I stopped at an office to sign documents, and at the first explosion I went back to help the agents go upstairs.
While I was inspecting the last room, the roof collapsed on me"
"You'll be fine Maria.We have faced worse.Do you remember Caracas?" I ask, lifting a corner of my lips.
“Oh Christ.We just survived that mission”
We laugh together.
Then I turn to Sharon.
"Take her upstairs.She needs medical attention immediately” I tell her.
"I'm not leaving you alone" she replies back, looking straight into my eyes.
“And I'm not going to let you kill one of my best friends.You take her upstairs.I have to get to the prisons.I will not be alone, surely there will be Rumlow and other agents under there”
I will not accept any reply to my words.
I stand up dragging Maria with me.
Sharon approaches the two of us and puts an arm around Maria's waist.
She entrusts it to her completely.
"Go" I order.
They both look at me worried.
“I can take care of myself.Go” I insist urgently.
The two women walk slowly and limping towards the door.
"Sharon?" I call her but then I freeze.
What the hell was I going to do?
Was I really going to tell her to relay a message to Bucky?
I bite the inside of my cheek and shake my head.
"Be careful" I just tell her.
She looks at me and her words take me completely off guard.
"Don't worry, I'll tell James you're okay and safe"
I look at her with disbelief.
Maria's eyes go back and forth between me and Sharon, her lips curved into a sly smile.
She seems amused by the whole situation.
"Thank you" I murmur about her turning my back and resuming my descent towards the prisons.
I begin to descend the last ladder that will take me to my final destination.
I hit something with my foot and at first I don't understand what it is...then thanks to the red emergency neon lights that flash non-stop I see that it is a corpse.
I observe the weapons he holds in his hands and the black uniform he wears.
He is a member of Rumlow's team.
And he has a bullet in his forehead.
I tighten my grip on my gun and remove the safety.
This is the proof that there are not just friends down there.
I continue slowly, all senses alert.
There is nothing left in my head.
No worries.
In this moment, I am the glacial Agent Zero again.
I continue up the stairs, meeting another dozen corpses on my way.
I arrive in a long corridor, mostly destroyed by the explosions.
I look around.
The cells on my sides are all empty.
On the long floor there are other corpses but this time I don't recognize them.
They wear camouflage and red balaclavas.
They are all dead.
My heart beats furiously in my ears.
Voices come from the last cell on the left.
I sneak up to it.
When I reach the bars of the last cell I barely reach out and what I see makes no sense.
Rumlow is sitting on the floor.
He is clearly wounded in the arm, a large makeshift bandage wraps the injured part.
Standing in front of him is Lucas.
Lucas Scott.
He has his hands turned upwards, as if he were giving up.
From here I can see the strong and firm profile of his jaw.
His blonde hair is covered in dust and blood.
He is more handsome than I remembered.
I watch him carefully and he seems unharmed.
I just need to look a few meters in front of him to see a man, in fact he is just a boy.
He has dark skin and long hair braided behind his neck.
And he's pointing a gun at Lucas.
I have to intervene.
I take two steps, just crawling my feet in order to attract the attention of the Wakandian.
As soon as his gaze lands on me he immediately points the gun at me.
“Don't shoot.Don't shoot.I'm not here to hurt you” I tell him showing him my hands and slowly, very slowly I put my weapon on the floor.
Lucas looks at me with wide eyes.
I approach Rumlow with my hands up.
I kneel beside him and grabbing his wrist I check his pulse.
I sigh of relief.
He is still alive.
His dark eyes slowly open.
"Snow" he croaks at me in a hoarse voice.
"Quiet Brock I'll get you out of here" I whisper.
Only now that I'm close can I see the big gash he has on his thigh.
A belt tightens it to try to slow down the bleeding.
When I'm about to get up he grabs me by the arm.
“I have lost all my men.Everyone…” his words die in his throat.
His red, bloodshot eyes fill with tears.
He may be a jerk but he has always been a good Captain and the loss of his men is always something devastating.
I squeeze his hand which is still resting on my arm.
"It's not your fault" I try to reassure him.
"Now stay down and hold on" I get up and go beside Lucas.
We exchange a quick glance, it's the first time we've seen each other since that night.
Let us turn our attention to the young man in front of us.
His eyes seem haunted, the gun continues to be aimed at us.
"Stay calm.We can help you” I tell him softly.
He laughs, a scary laugh.
He almost seems to be demon-possessed.
“But you already have.Bringing me here.Thanks to your stupidity you have led me where I needed it”
I turn to Lucas without understanding what the boy is saying.
The look of the blonde next to me is as confused as mine.
"What does it mean?" Lucas asks.
“It means that while you are wasting your time here with me other men have managed to get hold of the Vibranium that you had seized from us again.And if we are lucky enough we will also be able to kill T’Challa today"
His eyes light up as if he were a child on Christmas Eve, waiting for his much-desired gifts.
"You still have time" I tell him trying to instill confidence in my words.
“We can really help you.Don't you have a family?Someone waiting for your at home?If you collaborate with us we could make you hug your family again”
A sad smile makes room on the face of the young Wakandian.  "I had a family but you took it away from me"
"Us?" I ask disoriented.
“Lagos.My family was in Lagos to help our less fortunate brothers and the Avengers killed them.And what did our King do?Nothing!He was content with the Sokovia Accords.As if that were enough.As if the signatures of a couple of Avengers could ever be enough to erase the spilled blood”
The pain in his words is tangible.
“I can assure you I know what it's like to lose your family.I know how much it hurts and that seeking revenge seems like the best solution but it isn't!Believe me”
I feel Lucas eyes on me.
He knows what I'm talking about and he knows how hard it is for me to talk about it.
The Wakandian smiles in our direction.
“You will not win.Your world will fall apart as it should be.Only then will our revenge be accomplished” he raves about him and after sticking the barrel of the gun into his mouth he shoots himself.
"No!" I scream out loud.
But it's too late now.
The boy lies on the ground with his skull crushed.
"No!Fuck!" I exclaim angrily, running a hand through my hair.
Lucas approaches me.
“It's not your fault Amaya.You couldn't have stopped him.By now he had made the choice of him for some time” he whispers to me, touching my arm.
We remain for a few seconds to observe ourselves.
A whirlwind of emotions stir in my heart.
I would be lying if I said that I did not miss the man in front of me.
Talking to him was one of my favorite things, in the evening on the phone we wasted hours chatting.
With him I was always able to be myself, for better or for worse.
And he has always listened to me without ever judging me.
Instinctively I take a step closer and my arms are raised as if I wanted to hug him but suddenly a frightening noise takes us by surprise.
I crouch with my arms over my head, Lucas immediately lowers himself on me as if to shield me with his body.
We hear Rumlow cursing.
After a few moments we are hit by a cloud of dust.
We all cough convulsively.
I feel Lucas's arms tighten around my shoulders, his warm voice whispers in my ear "Are you okay Amaya?"
I nod my head against his chest, breathing in his sweet scent.
Honey and citrus fruits, sweat and blood.
When the last echo of the collapse dies out around us, we rise with caution.
Lucas moves away from me and without saying a word approaches Rumlow who, unable to move, was only able to crouch more against the wall and shield his head with his arms.
"Are you okay Brock?" he asks with concern.
"Never been better" Brock replies with his usual arrogant frown.
I roll my eyes.
Asshole.
When the dust in the air disperses, we can see the damage.
The ceiling in front of the cell door collapsed.
We're stuck in here.
Fantastic.
I try to contact my team.
I put a hand to my ear activating the earpiece.
“Guys can you hear me?We need help!Steve?Nat?We have a wounded man.Can you hear me?"
"They can't hear you from below" Rumlow murmurs in a faint voice.
"I know!" I sigh full of frustration starting to circle around the cell.
I feel the panic assault me.
Right now I regret not allowing James to follow me.
I need him now.
I sit cross-legged on the ground leaning my head against the wall.
With an involuntary gesture my hand tightens around his tags.
It's like they are my natural sedative, my lucky charm.
I smile silently with my eyes closed thinking about my panties that are currently in Bucky's pocket.
His lucky charm.
His madness is one of the reasons why I am madly in love with him.
I sigh, squeezing the tags even more tightly in my fingers.
I know how important they are to him, they remind him of who he was and who Sergeant Barnes is.
His meaningful gesture left me speechless.
When he slipped off his neck and gave me a sense of warmth he radiated into my heart.
"I'll come back to you, Sergeant" I murmur softly.
I feel a movement next to me, Lucas sat next to me.
He too leans his head against the wall and closes his eyes.
I look at his profile.
His face is covered in dust, a cut crosses his cheek and another across his forehead.
I touch one wound first and then the other with the tips of my fingers.
"Are you okay Lucas?"
His big blue eyes like the California sky open pointing to mine, he grabs my hand that's still on his face and squeezes it, bringing it to his lips.
"Yes I'm fine"
With a nod of the head I indicate Rumlow.
He has his eyes closed, his face ashen but his chest rises and falls.
Barely.
"And how is he?"
"He has lost a lot of blood" he replies worried.
"I hope they find us as soon as possible"
"They will.I'm sure they are already coming”
I try to reassure him.
My fingers tighten even more around James's tags.
It is now a gesture that I make unconsciously.
Lucas notices this and smiles.
He knows too.
Obviously he knows.
We continue to hold hands each lost in our thoughts.
His thumb continues to caress the back of my hand with small circular movements and I unwittingly relax.
This was one of the reasons I was attracted to him.
Every word or gesture from him calmed me easily.
I turn back to him, slipping my hand out of him, my gesture seems to hurt him but he says nothing.
“Lucas what happened before I arrived.I saw Rumlow's men and who were those men with the red balaclavas?"
I see him sigh.
“We have no idea.Rumlow and I were talking about the Wakandan prisoner when the first explosion occurred and we were surrounded by these men immediately after.There was a very heavy firefight.Brock has lost all of his men.It was horrible but we made it" he stops and his gaze becomes vacant as if he were reliving the horror he had just experienced.
“When you arrived I was trying to get the boy to give up”
Rumlow just moans without opening his eyes.
"I hope the Avengers find us quickly" Lucas murmurs.
I smile thinking of Bucky and Nat giving orders yelling at anyone to move.
"They will come.You can count on this”
Let's remain silent for a few minutes.
"So...it was Sergeant Barnes, huh?"
I lift my legs and hug my knees to my chest.
I know what he is asking me.
He's asking me if I turned him down months ago because of him.
"Yeah" I whisper.
"It was him"
I look down guilty but Lucas crystalline laugh makes me look up quickly at him.
“Everything is fine Amaya.You don't have to feel guilty”
I feel compelled to give him an explanation.
He deserves it.
“Before I joined the Avengers I had a one night stand with James.I never saw him again after that night.But then…then with my arrival in the team everything changed.I tried to let him go but couldn't.He didn't let me"
A corner of my lips lifts up thinking about how despite we tried with all our strength to stay away from each other, in the end our love won just the same.
But my smile dissipates as I think about how many people we have hurt.
“I'm sorry I hurt you Lucas.I should have been honest with you right away”
He watches me silently.
"Right person at the wrong time, remember?"
Lucas uses the words I used for him that night many months ago.
"I still think so, you know?" he says.
We smile at each other.
Lucas is about to tell me something but my attention is captured by something else.
A very faint hum approaches the cell where we got stuck.
I just need to look up and Red Wing is in front of me.
A smile spreads across my face as I turn to Lucas.
“They found us.Hold on Rumlow!" I say addressing the man on the floor who in response barely raises a hand as if to say "Hey I'm here, I'm holding on"
I speak to Sam's precious toy, hoping that he has some sort of audio system.
“Guys if you can hear me we got stuck in the Wakandan's cell.Rumlow is badly injured.Agent Scott and I are fine.But hurry up I don't know how long this place will hold up, half the ceiling has already collapsed and the other half is really unstable"
Red Wing makes a small swinging movement and flies away.
I tightly squeeze the bars of the cell between my fingers.
I raise my face to the crumbling ceiling.
I hope they hurry.