(Chapter 11) Just Sleep

I awoke, this morning it was different than any other. Instead of waking up to an empty bed, there was somebody next to me holding me close to them. I smiled a bit and snuggled closer to them. 

"Morning Sugar," Gerard's groggy morning voice spoke. 

"Good mornin' Gerard," I said back and we settled back into silence. I wasn't awake enough to have an actual conversation, so I reclosed my eyes. 

My mind wandered and I felt like I wanted to slap myself in the face. I forgot about my own sister (definitely not the author forgetting about her own character nu-uh). I didn't ask how she was or anything yesterday. I guess I just had assumed that she was out of the hospital and doing okay, but obviously, she would have been just as badly hurt or worse than me. 

"Is Quinn still in the hospital?" I asked.

"She's still there. I haven't heard anything about her condition yet. Since it's a Saturday, we could go and visit her if you wanted."  He responded.

I nodded and got out of bed and started to get ready. I did the usual routine, Gerard helping me since I was still getting used to the crutches. Once I was done, Gerard and I drank some coffee before heading out the door. 

Once we arrived, we went and asked the receptionist for her room number. We got it and went to find her room. I didn't know what to expect, she could be awake or in a coma just like I was.

We located her room and stepped inside. I stood at her bedside, staring at her unconscious body. Unlike her usual confident, tough, take-no-shit posture, she looked frail and deathly. Her skin was terribly pale and sweat covered her forehead like she was sweating off a fever. Her eyes held heavy bags and her lips were cracked and faded. Not to mention the many casts and bandages that covered various parts of her body.

I couldn't help but tear up. Seeing her like that made my heart wrench. She had been there for me my entire life, and seeing her like that brought the thought that she might leave me. As those thoughts came, they made the tears fall faster.

Gerard wrapped me in a hug and stroked my hair, whispering comforting sentiments to me. We stayed like that for a minute before I moved away to hold her hand, rubbing circles into the back of it. Just then, her doctor walked in. 

"Is there any good news doctor?" I asked hopefully. 

"Not at the moment. I'm sorry I have to break this to you, we don't think she's gonna make it. Her injuries are far too severe, she's in critical condition. It's been seven days and she still hasn't had any signs of waking up or getting any better. I think it would be smart of you to savor these moments left with her." She reported. 

I broke down again. My suspicions were correct and she probably will be gone in the next few days. I just wasn't ready to succumb to that. It was just something I couldn't imagine happening. 

The doctor left us alone once more. We were there for a while longer, I didn't really want to leave her but it was time we had to go home. 

I'm sure Gerard was absolutely worn out from consoling me the whole time we were there. It was gonna be a terrible time when she finally passed, for me, for my family, and Gerard. I'm a lot to handle when I go through grief. As aforementioned, my girlfriend passed and that was such a traumatic time for me. It was a clear demonstration that I struggle with grief and loss. And I was gonna have to go through that same feeling again. 

We drove home and by then, I'd finally run out of tears. Don't misunderstand me, I was still broken up on the inside. Anyway, we walked to the front door and I turned to face him.