Chapter 10

Pete POV

Meagan had gone upstairs to check on Jaime. I went into my office to check some emails and make some phone calls.

I called Patrick first.

"Hey, Pete. How's it going? Did you pick the kid up already?"

I sighed.

"Yeah. This morning."

"How is he?"

"Angry, sad, scared, I don't know. I think he hates me."

"How can he hate you? He doesn't even know you," Patrick said.

I sighed again.

"I tried to connect with him. I can barely get two words out of him,"

"Pete," Patrick said. "Like you said, he's scared. He's sad. He's lost his mom. Two days ago you didn't know he existed. Tanya never told you about him. I'm guessing she didn't tell him about you. So now he's living in a house with someone he's never met, with a family he didn't know about, and his life's completely upside down."

"Yeah. I know. I just wish I could get through to him."

"You will. So, I spoke to the guys. We're all coming tomorrow," he said. "We want to meet your son, although we know that's probably not the right time or place, but we were thinking we could also come by after."

"I don't know about after, but yeah. I'm glad you're all coming tomorrow. Might be nice to have people who don't hate me around me."

Patrick laughed.

"He doesn't hate you, Pete. He just needs time."

I got off the phone with Patrick, and went back out into the house. Saint and Marvel were watching TV.

Meagan came downstairs and into the kitchen where I was getting a glass of water.

"Where were you?" I asked.

"I unpacked Jaime," she said.

"How's he doing?"

"He's crying. He's sad, Pete. And just so you know, he doesn't have a suit. So you've got to go up and see if there's anything you have that fits him in your closet."

"Okay," I said.

"Pete. Be gentle with him. He's really hurting," Meagan said.

"I know," I said.

"I don't think you do," she said.

"Meagan! I know he's hurting. He's in a situation no kid should ever have to deal with. I'm trying."

"Pete, I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to do, but I'm telling you what to do. You need to reach out to him. You need to tell him you didn't know about him. You need to tell him that Tanya never told you about him."

"I will. I know I have to tell him all that. But I can't even get him to listen to me as it is."

"Pete. Go upstairs. Pull a couple of suits out of your closet and go into Jaime's room. Start there."

I sighed. But Meagan was right. Jaime needed a suit for tomorrow, and I needed a way to connect with him.

I went upstairs and into my closet. Jaime wasn't too tall. He was about my height, and maybe a bit skinnier than me, but not by much. I should be able to find something appropriate that wouldn't look like he was swimming in it. I pulled out a couple of black suits and ties, and white shirts. Hopefully he had shoes and socks.

I knocked on the door and went into Jaime's room. He was lying on his bed, eyes closed. White earbuds were in his ears.

I touched his shoulder and he jumped, his eyes snapping open. Hatred and anger filled those blue eyes as soon as he realized it was me.

"I brought a couple of suits for you to try on for tomorrow," I said.

"I don't want them," he said, pulling out his earbuds.

"You don't need to keep them. But you need a suit for tomorrow. Meagan said you don't have one when she unpacked your stuff."

"Who the hell is going to care if I'm wearing a suit?" Jaime said.

"Well, I care, for one. And second, your mom probably would."

The hatred that flashed in his eyes made me step back.

"Don't you ever mention her. EVER!" He yelled.

"Jaime, I know you're upset. I know you're mad or whatever. But one thing I need you to know. Your mom never told me about you. I need you to believe that."

"Bullshit," he said.

"It's not bullshit," I took the letter Tanya had sent out of my back pocket. "Here. This is the letter your mom sent me. I got it the other night. In fact, it's the reason I was down in Santa Monica that night. When you tried to steal my hubcaps with your buddies."

His eyes flashed, but he took the letter, sat up and read it. I was thankful it was handwritten. A typed letter and Jaime might have thought I made it up.

His eyes filled with tears as he read through the letter. He handed it back to me without a word, pulled his knees up to his chest and put his head down. He started crying. Sobs wracked his thin frame. I put my arm around him, expecting him to throw my arm off, but instead, surprising me, he threw his arms around me and cried. Hard. I patted his back, letting him cry. I didn't say a word. I didn't shush him. I just held him as he cried.

After a while his sobs slowed and he pulled away from me.

"I'm sorry," he said, wiping his eyes and nose on his shirt. "I kinda messed up your shirt."

"It's okay," I said, my hand on his shoulder. I looked into his eyes. He looked away.

"Do you believe me now?" I asked. He nodded.

"I'm sorry about your car. Frank and Justin, they just wanted to add to their collections."

"Well, no harm, no foul. Small world, though. Who knew the kid trying to steal my hubcaps was going to wind up living in my house."

He frowned.

"Look, go try on the suits. Use your washroom if you don't want to change in front of me."

He picked up the two suits and went into his bathroom. Meagan came to the door and whispered to me.

"How's it going?"

I shrugged and smiled. I gave her the 'so-so' sign. She smiled, and came into the room.

"Jaime," she called. "I'm going to take your laundry downstairs, okay?"

"I guess," he said. "Uh, thanks."

Meagan smiled at me.

"You're welcome, honey."

I smiled at her, gave her a kiss as she picked up the basket of laundry and came over to me.

"Is he trying on the suits?" she asked. "And what's on your shirt?"

"Call it a breakthrough," I said. "I'll tell you later."