Chapter 27

I laid back on the couch again while Marvel drew more pictures. Saint and Bronx came back downstairs a little while later and came into the living room.

"How are you feeling?" Bronx asked.

I shrugged.

"Less like I got hit by a truck. More like I walked into a moving car," I said. Bronx laughed.

"Why'd you walk into a car?" Marvel asked.

"He didn't mean he actually walked into a car, Marvel," Bronx said. "He means that's what it feels like he did. It's a metaphor."

"What's a metal fork?" Marvel asked. We all laughed. She frowned at us.

"Are you guys making fun of Marvel?" Pete asked, coming into the living room.

"No," Bronx said. "We were telling her that Jaime used a metaphor and she called it a 'metal fork'. We thought it was cute. We're laughing because she's cute."

Pete nodded. I wasn't sure he believed Bronx, though.

"Sarah and Brendon just came," Pete said. "And dinner should be here in about 20 minutes."

I wasn't sure what to expect with Dad's friends. These two weren't people from his band. I didn't know what these people were all about.

A guy with dark brown hair and a high forehead came in with a really pretty lady. Pete introduced them as Brendon and Sarah. The guy looked kinda familiar, but I couldn't place him.

"Hey, Jaime," Sarah said. "Nice to meet you. How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," I said. She smiled at me. She had really pretty eyes.

"Hey,  I'm Brendon," Brendon said. "I drove your dad, Pete, to the hospital the night you were found."

"Cool," I said, shaking his hand. "And I'm aware that Pete's my dad."

I smirked at Brendon. He smiled back.

"Yeah, he's definitely your kid, Wentz," he laughed.

We talked for a little while until the gate buzzer went off again. Dad said it was the food and Josh.

"Efficient delivery system. Bringing food and Josh," Brendon joked.

Pete went to the door and let Josh in, who was carrying the food bags.

"Does Josh work for the restaurant?" I asked Brendon.

"Uh, no," he said. "Do you know who Josh is?"

"Dad's friend. That's about all I know."

"Do you know the band twenty one pilots?"

"Not really. I think some of the girls at school listen to them," I said.

"Josh is their drummer," he said.

"Oh. Okay. Cool," I said. Brendon looked at Sarah.

"Do you know who I am?" He asked.

"You're dad's friend Brendon," I frowned. "I don't have amnesia."

"Yeah, I know. But, uh, do you know the band 'Panic! At The Disco'?"

"Heard of them. Yeah. Popular at school," I said.

"That's me," Brendon said.

"You're a whole band?" 

"Well, I'm the last original member, yeah. I'm the lead singer," he said.

"Ohhhhh.  That's why you look familiar. Your picture is in, like, every girl's locker at school."

"Not a fan?" Brendon asked with a smirk on his face.

"I wouldn't say that. I've heard - well - a lot of your music on campus. It's good. I'm more into Linkin' Park, Lil' Dicky, Travie McCoy, Machine Gun Kelly."

"Okay, okay, respectable," Brendon smiled. "I've worked with Travie McCoy and Lil' Dicky a couple of times, actually.

"Yeah? Cool," I said.

"Jaime, you hungry?" Dad said, coming into the living room. "Want to come to the table?"

I picked up my crutches and Brendon helped me stand up. I hobbled my way over to the table and flopped into a chair.

"You could have eaten in the living room, sweetheart," Meagan said.

"This is fine," I said. "I'd be alone out there. This way Marvel can keep an eye on me."

Marvel smiled from her booster seat.

"I Jaime's nurse!" She exclaimed. Sarah looked over at me and then at Marvel.

"I think you're doing a fantastic job helping Jaime," Sarah said to Mar.  She smiled back.

Josh was sitting beside me and while we were passing around dishes, he asked me about myself, what kinds of music I listened to, what instruments I played. He told me about his band and his bandmate Tyler. 

It was nice meeting Dad's friends. And incredibly weird that they were all who they... are.

At some point, in the middle of dinner, I think, I felt myself being poked. I looked up and Dad was standing beside me, poking my shoulder. 

"Hey, kiddo. You're falling asleep on your plate.  Come on. Let me help you upstairs to bed. 

"No, I'm okay," I slurred through sleepy lips.

"Yeah," Dad laughed. "I can see that. Come on. Here are your crutches. Up you get."

Dad helped me stand up, and stayed at my elbow, helping me navigate upstairs and into my room. He pulled back my covers and helped me to bed. He took my crutches and put them up against the side of my bed between the night table and the bed.

He pulled the covers over me, but I was asleep before then.