Chapter 35

Pete POV

Jaime met one of his friends when we walked into the school. And he didn't seem that thrilled to run into him. He introduced me as his dad, but didn't tell him my name. A couple of girls saw us and asked and as Jaime left to go to his locker, they followed him. I watched as he crutched his way down the hallway.

I stayed into the office and spoke with the principal who also called Jaime's school counsellor in.

"Thank you for staying to speak with us, Mr. Wentz," the principal said.

"I'd like to know if there is anything about Jaime's schooling that I need to know. We're still getting to know each other and he's dealing with so much upheaval. And I didn't know he existed until, well, the night his mom died actually. I got the letter from Tanya that same night."

"He has a rough exterior," the principal said. "And he acts tough, but in reality, Jaime is a gifted student. I've rarely seen him in the office for acting out in class, he's never been in a fight with another student so far as I know. Not on campus anyway.  He could be a Dean's List student if he put just a little more effort in. I think he holds back so his friends don't know how smart he really is. His mom being sick didn't help his attitude."

"Was Tanya involved with Jaime's schooling?"

"Until she couldn't anymore, she was at every school council meeting and volunteered when she could."

I nodded.

"I don't know that I'll be able to help out quite as much but I do want to be as involved as I can be. I have a lot of missed time with Jaime, and, well, that's neither of our faults," I said, realizing the educator didn't need to know the whole story.

She nodded. 

"Despite his rough exterior Jaime is a very sweet and smart and kind young man," she said. "He's very self sufficient and mature. Though he doesn't always act it."

I nodded.

"Obviously we were all devastated to hear about Tanya," the principal said. "How has Jaime been since he's been with you?"

I sighed.

"We're still navigating this," I said. "He's coming around and his siblings love him. He's settling in alright. We had a bit of a, well, a situation, last week as I'm sure you know."

"The canyon?"

I nodded.

"Yes. We were all worried when we heard Jaime had run off. I knew that wasn't like him."

"No, he'd gone just to clear his head and got lost."

I spoke with the counsellor and principal a little while longer, and signed some papers to change Jaime's contact info.

Once that was done, I left to take care of some band business, went to a couple of meetings where Patrick and the guys asked how Jaime was doing, and then, it was the end of the day and time to go pick Jaime back up at school.

It was a very sullen looking teenager who got into my car that afternoon.

"How was school?" I asked as he slammed into the car.

"Fine," Jaime replied tersely.

"Were your friends glad to see you back?"

"Can we just go?" He asked through clenched teeth.

"Alright. We can go. You want anything? Snack? Drink? Coffee?"

"I just want to go home," Jaime said. He wasn't looking at me. He was looking down at his lap.

I pulled away from the school and we drove towards home in silence. I decided I wanted a coffee so I pulled into a Starbucks drive thru.

"I'm getting a coffee. Do you want anything?"

"A shotgun to the head," Jaime mumbled.  I frowned.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Nothing," Jaime replied.

"Obviously it's something. I'm here when you're ready to talk. If you want."

Jaime sniffed.

"Now, do you want anything?"

"No."

"Okay. If you change your mind, let me know when we get to the window."

I pulled up to the speaker and ordered my coffee. Jaime stayed silent.

I picked up and paid for my coffee and Jaime kept staring out the window.

We drove the rest of the way home in silence.

As soon as we pulled into the driveway and I'd stopped and parked the car, Jaime got out of the car and went into the house. Meagan met me as I came inside.

"What happened now?" She asked me as we heard Jaime's bedroom door slam.

"I have no idea. He was pissed when I picked him up from school."

Meagan sighed. She had a soft spot for Jaime, I knew, but even she had to be getting frustrated with how he ran cold and hot.

"Hi, Daddy!" Marvel said, coming into the kitchen as I walked in with Meagan.

"Hi pumpkin! How was your day?" I asked, picking her up.

"Momma and I went to Momma and Me and I played in the water table and the sand table and drawed a pitcher and had aminal cookies for snack!"

"What a busy sounding day!" I exclaimed.

"How was your day, Daddy?" Marvel asked.

"Mine was busy, too. I took Jaime to school, and talked with some of the people there, then I went to a meeting and I saw Uncle Patrick and Uncle Joe and Uncle Andy. Then I picked Jaime up and got coffee and came home."

"Your day was harder," Marvel frowned. "Where did Jaime go?"

"Jaime is up in his room. He probably has a lot of homework, so we should probably leave him be for a little while, okay?"

"Okay," Marvel said.

"Where are Bronx and Saint?" I asked Meagan.

"Upstairs doing their homework. Saint should be down any minute. He didn't have much."

Just then, my youngest son came into the kitchen.

"What's up with Jaime?" He asked.

"Why?" I asked.

"He slammed his door and was, I don't know, arguing? With himself I think."

"I'm not sure. He was in a mood when I picked him up," I said.

Saint rolled his eyes.

"Saint, chill. I'll find out what happened eventually."

"I just wish one day he'd be predictable. I mean one day he's great and the next he's all pissy."

"I know," I sighed. "We're all still adjusting."

"I wish he'd adjust faster," Saint mumbled.

I couldn't actually disagree.