Chapter 11

Jaime came out of his bathroom in one of the suits I'd brought.

"You're more my size than I thought. I'll give you a belt so those pants don't fall off of you, but I think that looks good enough for tomorrow," I said.

"I don't know how to tie a tie," he said, flipping one end of the undone tie he'd put around his neck.

"I'll help you," I said. I went over to him and tied the tie for him. "Looking good!"

That actually elicited a slight smile.

"Just don't undo the tie all the way, and you'll just have to tighten it tomorrow when you get dressed."

Jaime sighed and went back into his bathroom to change back into his clothes.

"Saint and Marvel are watching TV, if you want to go join them. Or, you and I could go out and grab a bite or just talk. Finally get to know each other. Maybe without all the vitriol."

"I don't really feel like going anywhere," Jaime said.

"Well, we don't have to go anywhere. How about we go outside? Sit by the pool?"

"You have a pool? Of course you have a pool. In a house like this, how would you not have a pool?" he muttered.

"Well, I worked hard to get a house like this. With a pool," I smiled.

"Uh huh," he said.

"Look, Jaime, I really want to get to know you. We can stay up here, we can go out, we can go downstairs. Whatever you want."

"I'm actually kinda hungry. Can we get something to eat? Like, just in the kitchen?"

I looked over at the desk where I had left the macaroni.

"Yeah. It's probably cold now, and I'm not a fan of cold macaroni," Jaime said.

"Fair enough. Me neither. Let's go downstairs, I think we have some ice cream. We can talk over that. Sound good?"

"Okay," he said.

He followed me out of his room and down the stairs. We went into the kitchen and I pulled out two bowls, spoons and an ice cream scoop, then checked the freezer.

"We have... KitKat ice cream, cookie dough and chocolate." I said.

"I like KitKat," Jaime said.

"Me too. In fact, I have had it for breakfast in the past," I said.

Jaime smiled. He had Tanya's smile.

I scooped up a couple of bowls of ice cream, put a spoon in one and handed it to Jaime.

"So, can we try this again?" I asked. "You into any sports?"

"Nah," Jaime said. "Not really."

"You're a pretty good runner. Ever thought of track?" I laughed.

Jaime laughed, too, just a little.

"Yeah. I thought about it. But you know, that means more time at school, teamwork, working with, people."

"Working with people isn't so bad."

Jaime shrugged.

"What about music? What do you listen to?"

"Depends on my mood. My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, um... Weezer, sometimes. Green Day."

"Good bands," I said. "You have taste. You probably get that from me."

"Mom had really good taste in music. I probably got that from her."

"Both of us?"

"Maybe."

"How about school? Do you like it?"

Jaime shrugged.

"It's okay. I do alright."

"Where do you go to school?"

"Santa Monica High," Jaime said.

"Do you like it?"

"It's okay. My friends go there, so, you know," he shrugged.

I nodded.

"Have you asked any  of your friends if they want to come tomorrow?"

"No," Jaime said. "I didn't even want to go. I still don't."

"I know, buddy. But you  have to say goodbye," I said, taking our empty bowls and putting them in the dish washer.

Jaime sighed.

"I tried to keep her alive. I just thought if I didn't let her tell me what it was she wanted to tell me, she couldn't die. But she died anyway," tears started falling from his eyes again. I went around the kitchen island and wrapped my arms around Jaime again.

"Why did she have to die?" he asked.

"I don't know. It isn't fair," I said.

Jaime wiped his face again.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Don't be sorry. You're allowed to be sad. You're allowed to cry."

Jaime sighed.

"Why does it hurt so much?" he asked.

"We hurt the most when we lose the people we love the most," I said. "I can't imagine what you're feeling. I know your mom and I weren't close. We dated a long, long time ago."

"Why didn't you stay?" he asked.

"We were young. I was... busy. We drifted apart. I never even knew she was pregnant. I swear, Jaime. If she had told me, I would have been there for you both."

"But you weren't."

"No. I wasn't. And I wish, since I got that letter from your mom, I wish I had known. Because I would have been. I have a lot of making up to do with you. But I'm here for you now."

Jaime slumped in his seat. I could see he was exhausted. So many changes, so many emotions finally coming out.

"Why don't you go back upstairs and take a nap?" I said. "You look exhausted and I'm betting you haven't slept well in the past couple days. I'll come get you for dinner."

Jaime nodded and went upstairs.

Meagan came into the kitchen.

"How'd it go? You got him out of his room?"

"He's so sad," I said. "But yeah. I showed him the letter from Tanya, so he finally believes that I had no idea he existed."

"Why's he back upstairs already?"

"He's exhausted. He's cried, well, a lot on me. And I doubt he's gotten much sleep in the last couple of days. I'll go get him for dinner."

"Okay," Meagan said. "What do you want to do for dinner? Pizza?"

"Yeah. Let's just order something in."

"Alright. Pizza it is," Meagan said.

I went upstairs and went into my room to find a suit for myself for tomorrow.