Chapter 17

"Bronx, this is Jaime," I said, introducing Bronx to Jaime, who was playing on the XBox with Saint. Marvel was colouring at his feet.

"Hey," Bronx said, putting out his hand.

"Hey," Jaime said, turning around enough to reach over and shake Bronx's hand.

"Ashlee's just saying hi to Meagan, and she'll come in in a minute. Lunch will be ready in about five minutes, guys." I said.

"Okay, Dad," Saint and Bronx said. Jaime nodded.

Bronx hopped over the couch and sat beside Jaime watching him and Saint play. He tried talking to Jaime, who tried to answer, but was concentrating on the game. Finally his character died and Saint laughed while Jaime tossed down the controller in mock anger.

"Come on, let's go get lunch," Jaime said, picking Marvel up and tickling her just a bit. She squealed and squirmed. Jaime carried her like a baby.

The boys and Marvel came into the kitchen where Meagan and Ashlee were talking.

"You must be Jaime," Ashlee said to Jaime, smiling.

Jaime looked around the room pretending to be confused.

"I must be," he said. "Because this one is Marvel." He tickled her again.

"And I'm pretty sure these two aren't." He nodded at Saint and Bronx.

Ashlee went over and gave Jaime a hug. He stiffened. I had no doubt Tanya hugged him, but I guess all these new people were overwhelming a little.

"I'm Ashlee," Ashlee said.

We all got lunch, I'd gotten bagels and some spreads and salads and we took our lunches and ate outside by the pool.

The kids were happy to have Bronx home and Ashlee was peppering Jaime with as many questions as she could.

"Where are you going to go to school?" She asked.

"Santa Monica High," he said.

"Oh. Pete you're not moving him to a school up here?"

"I think he's had enough major changes in a short period of time, don't you Ashlee? I think maybe staying in his own school isn't such a big sacrifice."

"What about when you're on the road? You're going to make Meagan drive him down to Santa Monica every day?"

"It's not a problem, Ashlee," Meagan said.

"We have it under control, Ashlee," I said.

"I could also take a bus," Jaime said.

"That would take hours!" I said. "Don't worry about it Jaime. We'll get you to and from school. If I'm on tour and Meagan can't get you, I'm sure one of my friends won't mind."

"Wouldn't they be on tour with you?" Jaime said.

"I have other friends," I punched him in the shoulder.

"Ow! Two days and you're abusing me already?" Jaime said.

I gave him a sarcastic smile.

"By the way, think we could have a do-over with the guys?" I asked.

Jaime looked away.

"Yeah. Sorry about that," he said. "Sure. I'd like to actually meet them."

Ashlee kept looking at Jaime.

"So, Jaime," she said. "What do you do. You know. Hobbies and such?"

"Not much, really. Hang out with my friends or whatever," he said.

"No sports? Music?"

"Nah. I was never into any sports really. And I take a music class but it's just because it's an easy credit."

"What do you play?" I asked. I didn't know he played an instrument.

"Bass, drums and keyboards. I play drums in my music class."

Which explained the lack of instruments that had come with him when he moved in. It gave me an idea.

"But no sports?" Ashlee asked again.

"No," Jaime said, clearly annoyed at answering the same question twice.

"How come?" Ashlee asked.

"Because I don't like many sports. And they require more time at school than I want to spend."

"So you don't like school?"

"It's fine," he said.

"What are your grades like?" Ashlee asked.

"Ashlee, seriously?" I asked. She frowned at me.

"I do okay," Jaime said.

"What about your mom? What did she do? Did she work?"

"Ashlee!" I said. "Enough!"

"Of course she worked. What do you think? That I'm some welfare kid?" Jaime fumed and got up from the table and stormed inside.

"Ashlee! That was totally out of line!" I said. "You had better apologize to him!"

"You brought a strange teenager into your home where my son lives. Just on the word of some old girlfriend?" Ashlee said.

"Where our son lives. As do my other kids. And yeah. On the word of an old girlfriend. So? She had enough proof. What do you think? Jaime's gonna suddenly turn around and rob or murder us all? A few days ago he didn't even know I existed. Or that I was his dad. And I really, really hope you didn't just undo a lot of work we've put in learning to trust each other!" I fumed.

I looked up at a movement in the corner of my eye and saw Jaime in the doorway. He was glaring at Ashlee.

"I don't know who you think you are," he said with such vitriol, even I was taken aback. "But you don't even know me and you think that I'm what? Some criminal? Why? Because I didn't grow up in Beverly Hills? Because my mom wasn't rich? Because I don't play sports? There are a lot of things I'd like to say to you, but there are little kids here and so I won't. But you don't know anything about me yet you sit there and judge me."

He turned on his heel and left. I heard a door slam and rubbed my face with my hands. Ashlee looked stunned.

"Well that was rude," she said.

"Are you kidding, Ashlee?" Meagan said. "He's right. You've judged him based on what? You've got him so wrong."

She got up and tossed her napkin down.

"I'm going to go check on him," she said.

"That was low, Ashlee. Really, really low," I said.

"Bronx," she said. "I think you should come back home with me."

"Why?" He said. "I live here. I'm staying."

"Bronx," Ashlee said. "I want you home with me. Until I know it's safe."

"Mom, no!" Bronx said. "Jaime seems nice. Saint and Marvel like him. I'm staying! Dad! Tell her I'm staying!"

"Ashlee, Bronx is safe here."

"Pete?" Meagan came back downstairs. "Jaime's gone."