Chapter 79

We landed in Austin and I called Meagan while we were waiting for our luggage.

"How was the flight? How's Jaime?" She asked.

"Typical teenager," I smirked at my son who was pretending Joe was annoying him and that he was trying to ignore him. They were smiling and having fun. "He's being tormented by Joe just now."

"I thought you were going to call me when you landed," Meagan said.

"I did. Joe was on our flight, oddly enough. Whoda thunk Joe would get the same flight to Austin on the same day as Jaime and I?"

Meagan laughed.

"Let me talk to Jaime," Meagan said, still laughing.

"Jaime, phone," I said, holding my phone out to him.

He took my phone from me, frowning.

"Hello?" He said. I watched as he listened to Meagan talking.

"Yeah. It was fine. No, I slept the whole way. Yeah, I know," he said, his voice dropping. No doubt Meagan reminded him he had chemo. "Yeah. Yeah. Okay, give her a hug. I don't know how I'll feel later, if I'll be able to call. Okay. Yeah. Love you, too, Mom. Okay. Here's Dad."

He handed me my phone and Joe looked over at me and mouthed 'Mom!?' I held up a finger to indicate I'd explain in a minute. I said goodbye to Meagan and told her we'd call later.

Our luggage had finally arrived and Joe helped Jaime and I get stuff onto the cart we'd gotten. Along with a porter. Jaime decided to hang onto his backpack. He walked slightly behind Joe and I, looking at his phone and listening to music.

"So, 'Mom'. Care to explain?" Joe asked, looking back at Jaime to make sure he couldn't hear.

"He asked Meagan if he could call her 'Mom'. All his idea. She's touched and I think with what he's dealing with, he needs whatever comfort he can get. And Meagan loves him like her son. He needs a mom right now. And with Tanya gone..." I shrugged. Joe nodded.

I looked back to make sure Jaime was still behind us and I saw him following slowly but still behind us. I grabbed Joe's arm to let him know to stop so we could wait for Jaime to catch up. Jaime looked up and didn't see us initially. I saw a hint of panic until he saw me and relaxed. He grinned at me and walked faster to catch up to us.

"Focus, will ya?" I asked him, punching his arm.

"Ow! Abuse," Jaime snickered. I rolled my eyes at him.

We found our driver and the equipment truck. Jaime made sure to separate out his case with his Xbox and stuff so it would go on the bus with us. The instruments and other equipment that we'd brought was going straight to the venue.

We got in the car that had been sent for us and headed to the Austin Children's Hospital. Jaime and I didn't get the chance to head over to the venue first. He had his chemo and we knew he'd want to spend the rest of the day in bed, probably.

I got him registered and they directed us to the chemo clinic. Jaime's joviality waned as we got to the hospital and as we got closer to the clinic.

The nurses here were very friendly and got Jaime settled quickly and easily.

"Could you take a look at his port?" I asked the nurse after she'd gotten Jaime hooked up and he was listening to music. "My wife, his mom, thinks it looks infected. He says he slept funny on it a couple nights ago. I just want to make sure he's not hiding something."

"Sure. I'll check when I unhook his chemo, okay?" She smiled at me. I nodded.

I texted with Patrick and Andy as Jaime's chemo ran into his body. I texted Meagan to let her know we were at the hospital and had had no problems getting Jaime's chemo taken care of.

A little over an hour later, Jaime was done. The nurse gently pushed him back down as he tried to stand up.

"Sorry, darlin'. Since you're not a usual patient I just want to check a few things. Especially since your next treatment isn't being done here, if you need to take care or watch something, well, call me overly cautious."

The nurse pulled Jaime's t-shirt collar down a little and looked at the skin around his port. I saw it looked somewhat red.

"This isn't bothering you?" She asked Jaime, as she poked at his skin. Jaime shook his head.

"This looks a little more than irritated. You're sure that isn't bothering you?"

Jaime said it wasn't. The nurse shrugged and suggested keeping a close eye on it.

"It doesn't feel warm to the touch, but that doesn't mean something can't be brewing," she said.  "Keep an eye on that, and watch out for fever."

Jaime nodded, I thanked the nurse and we were on our way.

The driver had waited and was outside when we came downstairs. Jaime got into the car and I got into the front seat. We weren't far from the venue, but I hoped Jaime would be able to make it back before the chemo made him sick.

Halfway there, Jaime asked in a panicked tone for us to stop the car. The driver pulled over and Jaime opened his door and leaned against the car as he threw up. Once he was done, I got him back in the car and had him lay down. We were at the venue fifteen minutes later.

Even still, Jaime threw up as soon as he got out of the car. I put my arm around his shoulders and walked him to the bus. I had his backpack and electronics case. I gave him a quick tour, let him pick his bunk and got him a garbage bin. He lay down in his bunk and curled up.

"Will you be okay if I go into the venue? I need to check on a few things and we have soundcheck," I said.

"Yeah," Jaime said. "I'm just gonna sleep."

"Okay," I said. "Here."

I handed him his tour laminate that would give him access to the backstage area and pretty much the entire venue.

"If you want to come find me, wear that. You'll need that to get into and around all the venues we go to. This is your pass. Hang on to it. Follow the signs and you should find our dressing rooms. Or just ask someone."

"Okay," he said, putting the pass on his bed near his pillow.

"I'll have my phone. Text or call me if you need anything. I'm going to have a security guard come sit with you, just in case you need something quick, okay?"

"Dad, please. I'll be okay, but I really need you to just leave me alone right now."

"Okay. Okay. Sue me. I'm your dad. I worry. Seriously. Call me if you need absolutely anything," I emphasized.

"Okay," he said, then leaned over his bunk and threw up in the bin. "Ugh. I swear. I'm probably just gonna sleep."

"Well, that doesn't change - call me for anything," I said.

"Okay," he mumbled as he pulled his blanket over himself.