Chapter 42

Jaime POV

Dad sucks. He's such an ass. I wish I never had to live with him. I wish Mom never died. I wish I could still be with her.

Then I remembered the sleeping pills. I'd bought them after school once when I couldn't sleep but wound up not needing them. But I'd brought them from home.

I got up and made my way into my bathroom. They were still in the medicine cabinet. I looked at myself in the mirror. Who the fuck am I? I don't belong here. I can't go home because I have no home to go to. Mom's gone. Dad's a dick. The kids and Meagan are okay, but I miss my mom.

"What are you waiting for?" My reflection asked me. "Just swallow them and you can go be with Mom."

I hung my head and cried. I didn't belong in the world anymore. I didn't fit in with Dad's family. I couldn't relate to my friends anymore. Dad's first wife hates me. Dad is barely able to look at me.

I opened the bottle and poured a handful of pills into it. I took a glass of water and swallowed, tears still streaming down my face.

My reflection smiled and nodded at me.

"More. Take more and we can go be with Mom."

I nodded and took another handful. I sobbed as I swallowed them, then, unable to swallow any more, I dropped the bottle onto my counter and stumble crutched back to bed. My head was spinning.

I lay down and the room started spinning. I felt the pills starting to work as I got drowsier and drowsier.

My stomach started to bug me, and I rolled onto my side to help it settle.

Then, the world went blissfully dark.

"Jaime? Get up. You're going to be late for school," I heard Dad's voice from the end of a very long tunnel.

"I'm not going to school," I said, but I'm not actually sure the words came out of my mouth.

It got dark and silent again.

I couldn't even hear my heart beating.