Chapter 23

Jaime POV

It was dark for a long time. And then, it was light. I opened my eyes and saw white everywhere. 

"Is this heaven?" I asked to no one in particular.

"God, I hope not," a voice beside me said. I turned my head and saw Pete sitting there. Tears came to his eyes.

"Hey, kid." He said. "How do you feel?"

"Well, I guess if I'm not dead, then I feel pretty shitty. And if I am dead, then I feel shitty and that really sucks. Because I thought there was no pain in heaven."

Pete laughed.

"That was dark," he said.

"Where am I?" I asked.

"You're in Cedars-Sinai. You've been unconscious for two days since they got you out of the canyon," he said. "You're pretty banged up, but the doctor says you're going to be okay."

"My head hurts," I said.

"I bet. You did a number on yourself," he said. "Let's see, you hit your head on a rock and got a nice concussion, broke your left leg and three ribs. You were dehydrated and sunburnt. Although that's starting to clear up. The nurses have been putting some cream on your sunburn."

"Did a truck hit me on the way down?" I groaned. Pete laughed.

"Not to my knowledge. If so then that driver could have pulled you out instead of LA Fire and Rescue,"

Just then, there was a light knock on the door.

"Come on in!" Pete said.

Meagan, Marvel, Saint and Bronx all came in.

"Look who's awake!" Meagan said, smiling. Marvel ran up to Jaime's bedside and climbed up.

"Careful Marvel," Pete said. "Jaime's still got boo boos."

"I drawed you this," she said holding out a piece of paper.

"Thanks Mar!" I said. "It looks like you and me, but what's that between us?"

"Pam cakes! Wif choko chips!" She said.

"They look almost good enough to eat," Jaime said.

"I hug Jaime?" She asked.

"Not right now, Marvel," Pete said. "Jaime has boo boos in his ribs and hugging him might hurt."

"Okay," she said, looking upset.

"Hey, Mar, you can hug my arm. My arm doesn't have boo boos," I said. She smiled and hugged my arm a little.

Bronx and Saint were sitting on the end of my bed watching.

"You know," Bronx said. "I don't think anyone's ever spoken to my mom like you did."

"She pissed?" I asked.

"Pffft.  Who cares?  It was awesome. Until you nearly died. That sucked. Glad you're back, man," he said, offering his fist for a fist bump.

"You're gonna have to come closer. It hurts to bend," I said. He moved closer and bumped my fist.

"Do you have an Xbox here?" Saint asked.

"I doubt it," I said. "But I just woke up. I haven't had a chance to take a tour."

"You do now!" He said, smiling. Meagan picked up a gift bag.

"We got it for you for your room, if you want but since you're probably here for a good few more days, we thought maybe you'd like it here."