Chapter 20

Pete's POV

The police asked for a picture of Jaime. The only one I had was the one of him and his mom. I got it from Jaime's bedroom.

Search and rescue teams had shown up and some of our neighbors, seeing the commotion came over to see what was happening and if they could help. Patrick had called Josh and Brendon and they'd come over as well.

Because it was night, the police were reluctant to let civilians wander around in the brush. They took everyone's names and said if they didn't find him tonight, they'd use them in the morning.

The news had found out, too and were lined up along the street. I didn't want to talk to the press yet. But when Saint turned on the TV, there was Jaime's face.

"Fifteen year old Jaime Clarke has gone missing from his father's Beverly Hills home. Jaime is the son of musician Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy and we've learned that Jaime just recently came to live with the Wentz family after the death of his mother, a former girlfriend of Wentz's.

We've learned that there had been an altercation between Jaime and a family member and the teenager ran from the home. Though the family thought he might need to blow off some steam, they are concerned because Jaime is new to the area and doesn't know the neighbourhood at all. The family is concerned Jaime may have gone up into the reservoir, where forest and brush could make the search more challenging. Especially if Jaime has kept moving instead of staying in one place for searchers to more easily find the teenager.

Police are canvassing the neighborhood to see if anyone saw the teen this afternoon around two o'clock when he left the Wentz home.

Jaime is approximately 5' 6" and about 140 pounds. He has brown hair and blue eyes, and was wearing a white t-shirt, blue jeans and white sneakers.

Anyone who has any information is asked to call the hotline listed below."

I sighed. I never expected anything like this ever in my life.

"Pete? I'm so sorry," Ashlee said, coming up to me. I turned on her and brushed her hand off my shoulder.

"This is your fault!" I yelled at her. "You had to open your big mouth and judge a kid you don't even know. A kid who just suffered a huge trauma!  You need to leave. I can't look at you anymore. And Bronx is staying here."

Tears formed in her eyes and she opened her mouth to say something.

"Just go," I said. "Just go. There is nothing you can say that I want to hear right now."

She turned and left.

"That was cold, man," Joe said, coming up beside me.

"I don't care," I fumed. "What she said was inappropriate and cruel. And it's why my son is missing."

"I get it man, but I doubt Ashlee intended this to happen," he reasoned.

"Really, Joe?  You're gonna take her side?  What if Jaime's up in the reservoir? What if he's fallen and hurt?  What if he trips and hits his head and lands in the water?  If she hadn't said the things she said, Jaime would be here watching TV, and his face wouldn't be plastered all over it."

"All I'm saying is Ashlee probably feels badly that this happened. I pretty sure she knows she's the reason Jaime ran."

"I can't worry about Ashlee's feelings right now. That's on her. Right now, I'm worried about my son, and my other kids who are devastated and confused."

Joe clapped me on the shoulder and walked away to talk with Josh, Brendon and Andy.

Time wore on and it was getting late. Meagan carried a sleeping Marvel up to bed and I told the boys it was time to go to bed.

"We want to stay awake in case Jaime comes home," Saint said.

"I promise, if Jaime comes home tonight, I'll wake you up."

Both boys grumbled.

"Can we sleep together?" Saint asked.

"Yeah, sure," I said. The boys didn't normally do that. They had their own rooms. I'm guessing Jaime's absence had them both needing some comfort.

Meagan and I stayed up through the night. The guys ordered pizza at some point and I ate without really tasting it.

Police and searchers came in and out of the house discussing zones and routes. I went outside and looked up into the hills as the sky turned grey and then pink. The sun was rising. Tears started falling from my eyes.
Meagan came outside with a cup of coffee. She handed it to me and put her arm around me.

"They'll find him, Pete."

"I hope so," I said. "Because the cold and water aren't the only things to worry about out there."

————————————
Jaime's POV
I woke up when the sun rose. I was still cold, thirsty and hungry. I didn't know if any of the plants were edible so I left them. I kept walking, hoping I was heading towards the city. I was heading downhill now so that was probably right.

The ground was rocky and pretty bare. Just some brush. The sun was up and it got really hot. I got more and more thirsty. My head started hurting.

I sat down on a rock to rest. I slid down the rock onto the ground and fell asleep. Just a little nap. I'll just take a little nap.

I woke up hours later, hungrier and thirstier. I got up and started walking again. I couldn't walk straight. I couldn't see straight. I just wanted to sleep. I was hot but also cold. I couldn't recognize anything.

I took a step and my foot landed on nothing. I fell. I felt myself rolling. Something broke and pain shot up my left leg. I stopped when my body landed up against something hard, my head hitting something sharp.

I closed my eyes. I was tired. I was in pain. I needed sleep.