Chapter 77

Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz Took His Son To A Lakers Game - And Turned It Into A Celebration of Life

AP - Last Spring, Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy revealed he had a teenaged son from a previous relationship. The teen's mother had passed away from cancer and Pete was informed through her lawyer that she had had a son that was the bassist's son, too. The woman, Tanya Clarke, of Santa Monica, had provided proof that her son was also Pete's. Following her death, Pete met his son for the first time in 15 years. Neither Pete nor his son knew of each other's existence until after the teen's mother's passing.

Over the summer, Pete revealed that his son was also battling a similar form of the cancer that took the boy's mother.  Wentz would discuss his son's battles in interviews if asked and famously shaved his head in solidarity with his son when he started to lose his hair.

Last night, Wentz and his eldest son attended the Lakers/Pistons game where Lakers Forward LeBron James announced to the crowd that the teen, who had apparently been waiting for some test results, had found out that his results were clear. It is unclear if the teen is in remission but we hope he continues to experience good and improving health.

The Wentz men sat court-side and cheered and celebrated the younger's good news.

The Lakers beat the Pistons 115-104.

➰➰

Jaime spent the next day finalizing his packing and running errands with Meagan to get him ready for tour. They went to pick up toiletries, fill his prescriptions, and because she was worried, she took him to get his port checked.

The doctor said it looked irritated and to keep an eye on it but he didn't think it was infected.

"But seriously, Jaime. Keep an eye on it. You're more susceptible to infections right now."

Meagan and I took all four kids out for dinner to our usual restaurant where we'd go to celebrate things. The same place we'd gone before Jaime's surgery. Jaime and I had an early flight to Austin in the morning, so we went to dinner earlier than we normally would so that we could get to bed early. Especially Jaime.

Marvel wouldn't leave Jaime alone. She insisted on sitting beside him at dinner but somehow wound up in his lap. Jaime didn't seem to mind much.

Jaime had a chemo appointment when we got to Austin so I'd been trying to find a way to make his first day somewhat special, considering he was going to feel like crap an hour or so after his chemo. We'd be back for sound check, and I hoped he'd feel well enough to watch. I doubted he'd feel up to watching the concert tomorrow night.

Jaime was animated and laughing with his brothers and Marvel. Meagan kept looking over at him and smiling.

"He's doing so great," she said to me, leaning her head on my shoulder.

"He is," I smiled.

Once we'd finished eating, we packed up the kids and headed home. Because Jaime and I were leaving in the morning, we watched a short movie with the kids. Marvel insisted on having Jaime read to her and he was happy to do so.

I was just heading upstairs to say good night to the kids and get Jaime to go to bed as well. He came out of Marvel's smiling.

"Hey," I said to him.

"Hey yourself," he said.

"Get your luggage downstairs by the door and then bed, okay?"

"Yep," he said.

I saw him rubbing his shoulder, around near his port.

"Is your port bothering you?" I asked.

"No. Just an itch," he said. I wasn't convinced, though. The doctor had noted it looked irritated. I'd have to keep an eye on him and his port. I'd check it when we got to his chemo appointment in Austin. Or have one of the nurses or doctors check him.