Chapter 26

"Boys! Be quiet. Jaime's asleep on the couch!" I heard Meagan whisper yell.

"He's home? Why didn't you tell us he was coming home today?!" I heard Bronx say.

"Partially because we wanted to surprise you and partly because we weren't a hundred percent sure he'd be coming home today," Meagan said. "Now, go upstairs, quietly, and do your homework or whatever so you don't wake Jaime up."

"It's okay," I called out. "I'm awake."

The boys came into the living room.

"Be careful!" Meagan called out. "He still has three broken ribs!"

"Dude! You're home!" Bronx said, offering a fist for a fist bump. "How are you feeling?"

"I've felt better," I said.

"Did Dad set up your Xbox upstairs?" Saint asked.

"Yeah. But I didn't want to go upstairs yet," I said.

"Yeah. I guess," Saint said.

"Jaime, momma says you hafta take dis now," Mar said coming in with a bottle of water and a pill in a cup.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I dunno. Momma said it's your medicine," Mar said.

"It's for your kidneys. It's a diuretic to help keep them working. You only have to take them until we see the nephrologist and see what he thinks about your kidney function."

"Okay," I said, and swallowed the pill.

"They also prescribed a pretty strong pain killer. Do you want it?"

"No," I said. "My mom was on really strong stuff. I didn't like what it made her like. I'm okay now. Maybe a Tylenol or an Advil later."

"Okay sweetie. You let me know if you need it, okay?"

I nodded.

Mar sat on the floor beside me and started colouring.

"Want to play Xbox?" Saint asked.

"Don't you have homework?" I asked.

"You're as bad as Dad," he frowned. Bronx laughed.

"Come on Saint, let's do our homework and let Jaime rest some more, and then maybe we can play Xbox later."

"Fine," Saint sighed.

Dad came downstairs as the two of them went upstairs.

"What did you say to them?" He asked coming into the living room. "Bronx looks okay but Saint looks, I dunno. Resigned? A bit pissed?"

I laughed.

"I asked if they had homework when Saint asked to play Xbox."

"Oh!" He laughed. "That makes sense. How are you feeling? Good sleep?"

"Better than in the hospital," I said.

"Hungry?" He asked.

"No," I said. "Not just now."

He patted my good leg.

"I have a couple of friends who want to come over and meet you. They helped search for you."

"When?"

"Tonight? If you're up to it. I thought they could come for dinner and we could order in. Do you like Chinese food?"

"Yeah. Sure. But don't get pissed if I wind up falling asleep on you all."

"I think we can forgive you if you do. This time," he smiled. "I'm gonna go call them."