Chapter 19

Running about the deserted corridors, warm candlelights, white roses and crystal bowls filled with clear, almost sparkly water and several rose petals and pretty leaves (an Elysium tradition) flickering past him, Taehyung kept running and running- until he couldn't anymore.

Completely drained and his breath catching in his throat, he then stood inside the rose garden. Not his private one with his garden pavilion Rosaly, the main one with a grand fountain and roses slightly darker than the ones in his private garden. The sun was setting beautifully, gleaming like a red jewel in contrast to the crystal clear water splashing from the majestic fountain. But he was not in the mood to watch the diamonds glitter in the sunlight. At the moment, he just wanted to be far, far away.

He looked towards the woods, suddenly feeling a little rush as he imagined himself running away. Slipping away quietly, secretly...
But he couldn't. Not with Jungkook still here. Not with an entire kingdom depending on him.

He stepped closer towards the fountain, watching his reflection in the clear water. His complexion, flawless and fair. His eyes, round and youthful, their lids glittering in golden colours. And his lips, glossy and plump. Not a wrinkle.

He saw himself for what he was, just a mere boy. A boy way too young and inexperienced to do the things he was supposed to do. A boy who felt as if his life was already over before it even started. A boy who had been prepared and taught on who he was to be, not who he wanted to be. A boy who had been gifted all the luxury and wealth he could wish for, all except actual joy and happiness.

Two salty drops of liquid dropped from his eyes into the fountain, mixing with the water within swiftly. And more, and more, and more...

Suddenly, he heard footsteps behind him, standing up straight in alarm. He was not alone anymore. He could absolutely not bear anyone see him cry, not his family, not his servants...

"Taehyung?" The prince turned around at that all too familiar voice.
"Jungkook. What are you doing here?" He tried very hard to keep his voice stable, which worked only partially.

"I'm here to check up on you, of course," the brunette said matter-of-factly. He stepped closer, standing next to Taehyung in front of the fountain. "Princess Eunbin is so beautiful, graceful and sweet, I bet she'll make a lovely bride. Just not for you." The prince quickly wiped away another tear dripping from his eye.
"I suppose so."

"Your family is so weird. I didn't believe it until I actually saw it. Did you even have your first kiss yet? How can you just get married like that?" Taehyung shrugged. "They do not think I'm worth anything without a marriage. They probably think of me as a failure."

"Don't say that. You're not a failure. I've seen you in your tutoring lessons, your harpsichord lessons, working so hard. I even know about your crazy medicine skills. Without those, my injuries would've neved healed so quick." The prince stayed silent for a while.

"Thank you," he said after a while. "I cannot believe you are so kind to me. If... If you wish to--" His voice broke just there. "If you ever wish to go- back through the woods into your old life-- You may do so whenever you like. I grant you full permission. I am very aware of how much you miss your family and friends, and--"

"But you, you're my friend too, aren't you? I could never just leave you like that." The brunette took his hand which made Taehyung's heart jump and his tears almost flow again. He shook his head, and despised himself for it.
"No... No. You have loved ones back in your world. They need you, they need your love. And you have technology, that Internet-thing, your motor-something, your strange upbeat music..."

"But what about you, don't you need my love too?" Luckily, the now almost completely set sun covered the prince's blushing cheeks.
"W-Well, maybe. Yes. But I could never encourage you to stay somewhere where you are unhappy."