Chapter 28

The one week-break that Jungkook had predicted turned out to be not only a two week- but a three-week break before he finally felt ready to return to school again. Thankfully, his parents were considerate enough to allow him to stay home during that time.

Explaining things to the school and the police was actually easier than he had predicted. He simply fooled everyone into thinking school stress had lead him to take off and run away into a completely different part of the country and that due to a storm, he had lost his bike which caused everyone to think he had died. But admittedly, the police seemed to be embarrassed about their mistake and laziness, proclaiming someone to be dead simply because you didn't bother searching for their body. Hopefully, they would learn from their mistake. After all, it had caused many people pain.

Everything in his life was starting to turn back to normal, just like he had wished for the last couple of months. Thinking back to the times he would lie awake on his mattress in Elysium, staring at the beautifully painted ceiling while thinking about his family and friends while listening to Taehyung's regular breaths, these memories seemed thousands of miles away.

Basically, he had everything he wanted. His family and friends back, he was sleeping in his familiar bedroom again, he even had Taehyung with him. The two of them still shared a bed as Taehyung didn't seem to mind. Jungkook didn't either.

But he couldn't help but notice how quiet the prince had become during the course of these few weeks. Back in Elysium, he had spent hours listening to Taehyung babble about literature, horses or medicine, ranting about characters that he found irrational or rational, how much he wanted to go riding again or healing methods that he really wanted to try out but couldn't due to his position.

But here, Taehyung seemed to have almost completely silent, only talking when he really needed to. He also smiled a lot less. In fact, it seemed as if he was constantly nervous and on edge.
As much as he had hated it there, being away from home seemed to have quite a toll on him.

Luckily, he did seem interested in school how Jungkook knew it, taking all of the boy's old school material and studying through it carefully. He learned to read numbers, he improved his writing and reading only in a week, showing how smart he truly was and definetely impressing Jungkook with ability to learn extremely quickly.

The brunette planned on spending some of his pocket money to buy him books about medicine and horses, books that he definetely wouldn't have access to in Elysium to surprise him and cheer him up a little. Well, as soon as he felt confident enough to show his face in town and visit a bookshop. Everyone would know him as a dangerous and careless rebel who abandoned his family and faked his death simply because he was lazy and that thought worried him more than he wanted it to.

On the first day back to school, Jungkook entered his bedroom with a bunch of papers stacked under his arm, along with exercise books, notepads, pencil cases and two lunch boxes.
"Hey," he spoke to the figure sitting on his bed, twiddling his thumbs nervously. "Great news, my parents enrolled you in our school successfully. It was a bit hard since there weren't any previous records of your schoolwork, but it worked. We just said you're a cousin from far away and just recently moved here. Here's your lunch, the cafeteria sucks and the only good thing about it is the flavoured milk." He threw a neon green lunch box onto the prince's lap.

With a little "thank you", the blue-haired boy took it and opened it to peek inside, smiling as he did so. "I will never get used to your food," he commented. "It's so adorable." The box contained egg rolls, kimchi fried rice and gimbap, things no one in Elysium would have dared to eat.
"Seokjin would be astonished. He always loved trying new food combinations." His smile faltered a little as he thought of his older brother.