Chapter 22

It was no secret that the King and Queen were rushing the marriage between Eunbin and Taehyung immensely. Why, no one knew for sure.

And just like that, the whole palace was busy working again. Buttercream cakes in all shapes of sizes were skillfully made in the kitchen, a heated debate going on about the colour scheme, pastel pink or pale gold. Eventually, pastel pink was chosen since it was viewed as a more 'romantic' colour and therefore, more fitting for a happy royal wedding.

Jungkook and Jimin were needed in the kitchen nearly every day, Jungkook having developed quite a skill for catering, now that he watched the other servants do it an abundance of times. However, there was no point denying that he didn't get to spend as much time with Taehyung as usual, which made him a bit sad.

Overall, things got better for him and he didn't sneak out at night to overthink his situation and cry about it. Why, he wasn't sure. Because it did annoy him that Taehyung was getting married.
And he wasn't dumb, he knew exactly why that was.

He had had crushes before. Tiny, stupid little teenage crushes that nearly everyone had. Seeing someone walk along the hallway, feeling his heart race as he imagined himself walking alongside the attractive (in his case) boy. Internally slapping himself for getting such embarrassing thoughts. Of course, he had felt it all.

Truthfully, none of his crushes had anything much in common. Some of them had been shy and quiet, some of them stubborn and outspoken, some of them shorter, some of them taller, some of them rich and poor. He never had many standards, he just felt pulled towards individuals that felt... compatible.
Adding to that, he never felt those crushes develop into anything that he would consider serious. This led to him never having professed his liking to anyone.

He had never actually thought of being in a relationship before. Why would he, he was just a high school student trying to have fun and live with as few rules as possible. Why would you like being bound to another person when you could be free with lots of possibilities and lots of other people to find attractive?
However, he felt that now, his viewpoint had changed a little.

He had no idea why. Spending so much time with Taehyung, he had really grown to care for him as a friend. But then, why did their connection feel so different from all his other friends?

Of course, Yoongi and Yugyeom were very different from Taehyung and so was the way he acted with them. Or the way they acted with him. There were things Taehyung did that particularly caught his attention, especially lately.

He seemed to blush and retreat when Jungkook came physically close. Maybe he was just shy when it came to physical contact in general. But he wasn't like that when Jimin stood in close proximity to him, styled his hair and even helped him change clothes.
So was Jungkook somehow special? Or was Taehyung just not used to his presence? But he must be, right?

Jungkook spent a lot of time speculating and overthinking about this. There was no way Taehyung had a... crush on him, right?
It wasn't like he could just go up to him and talk to him about this. Taehyung surely wouldn't know what a crush felt like.

There was also something else he had to consider. Say, purely hypothetically, what would happen if Taehyung did have a crush on him?
Not as in what would happen to the kingdom, princess Eunbin and the King and Queen, no, how would Jungkook feel about this?

The brunette had come to the shocking realization that he wasn't opposed to the idea of the prince having a crush on him. In fact... he'd find it cute.

But why? Was he a sadistic jerk who took pleasure in breaking people's hearts by playing with their feelings and then abandoning them?
He knew he wasn't, he was better than that!
So did he actually like Taehyung?