Sixteen

"Mom?" I called out, making my way downstairs. The lights were off, the place was dark. I could barely see the steps on the stairs. "Dad? Mason?" Receiving no response from either of them, I let out a loud sigh, "is this some kind of sick joke?"

My phone wasn't with me so I couldn't turn on the flashlight to see ahead of me either. Just as I took the last step, the lights were flickered on and a ton of voices shouted, "happy birthday!" My eyes flickered from person to person in the room. Their voices were echoing in my head which made it feel like it was going to explode.

There were a lot of unfamiliar faces. The only faces I knew was those of my parents, Mason, Mr and Mrs Romano and Ace. I gripped my dress and clenched my fist in it, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. I hated parties.

Not wanting to embarasss myself on in my own birthday party, I mustered a small smile. My parents and Mason then rushed towards me before pulling me in for a hug altogether.

"Happy birthday, baby sis!" Mason exclaimed as they all pull away. I shot a fake smile at him before thanking him. "Let's cut the cake!" Mom held my hand and dragged me towards the huge well decorated table on which there was a big chocolate cake, around ten bottles of champagne and different sweets in different plates.

I held the knife in my hand before taking a deep breath. Then I cut the cake receiving cheers and claps from the guests. I wanted to get out of this place. I was angry at my parents for not respecting my wishes, angry at my brother for not telling me any of this. But then again, they had no idea how I felt about parties. I wasn't the same girl I was two years ago.

Flashes on how he would place me in front of hundreds of people and would force me to strip appeared in front of me. He was a monster and I was so glad that he died. My grip on the knife tightened and kept on cutting the cake deeper and deeper until I felt a hand over mine.

I looked up at Mason who was staring at me with a concerned look on his face making me blink a few times before dropping the knife on the table. "Are you alright?" He whispered to which I nodded, "yeah, don't worry. I just wasn't expecting this."

"It's alright. You are going to have a lot of fun, I promise." He whispered again as I let out a sigh.

"Let's go greet the guests, darling." Mom said in her usual sweet voice. I wanted to run away from this stupid party and from their stares. Why the fuck were they looking at me like that?

'Maybe because you're the birthday girl?' My subconscious mocked making me roll my eyes internally.

"Ivy, meet Davis Whitmore, a very close friend of mine and a business partner as well. His wife, Amelia and his son, James." Dad introduced me to a man standing with his formal suit on and a smile on his face. Beside him, stood a woman who was much more shorter than hers and then there was a boy who had a smirk on his face.

"Pleasure to meet you, Ivy." Davis said extending his hand for me to shake which I did, not wanting to give them a bad impression considering he was my dad's business partner.

"Happy birthday! You're twenty right? I'm twenty two." James stated, flashing me a smile. I fought the urge to roll my eyes, "good to know."

"Ivy, come on." Mason dragged me away from the Whitmores to the Romano. I felt like a ball, being kicked here and there—except I wasn't being kicked, I was being dragged.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart!" Mrs Romano smiled before pulling me in for a hug. I hugged her back before breaking it, "thank you."

"Happy birthday, Ivy." Vincenzo wished before patting me on the head. I smiled kindly at him before thanking him. My eyes then flickered to Ace who was wearing a black suit. It was the first time I was seeing him in one and dare I say, he looked absolutely hot.

"Happy birthday," he said, smiling lightly at me. I smiled back, "thank you." The Romanos had two men standing behind them holding around five wrapped boxes each. My eyes widened. Were these for me?

"All of them, yes, they're your birthday gifts from Rose and myself," Vincenzo nodded, smirking at me, "we chose them ourselves."

So Ace didn't bring any gifts for me? Why was I feeling bad? Snap out of it, Ivy—

"I don't—" I was cut off by Rose who held up her palms in front of me, "hush, darling. It's your birthday and we love you so we will, of course, pamper you. You're like the daughter I've always wished for."