Seventeen

I was standing on the balcony outside my room. While everyone were busy partying, I slid up here and nobody noticed it. I stared at the stars in the sky, feeling the cold wind hit my skin which made me shiver slightly.

"What are you doing here? Isn't the birthday girl supposed to be at the birthday party?"

Turning around, I was met with the familiar pair of blue eyes. Ace was sganding there with the first three buttons of his suit unbuttoned and he had his sleeves rolled up with two glasses of champagne in his hands. He walked towards me before handing me a glass which I took before thanking him. He only nodded in response, standing beside me. I brought the glass to my lips before taking a sip.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes and found him staring at me. I turned around to face him but he didn't bother to advert his eyes.

"Why are you staring?" I questioned to which he shrugged, "it's hard not to. You always manage to look perfect every fucking time."

My heart beat quickened at his compliment. I guess being bold runs in the Romano family.

"Thank you, I guess." I muttered, taking a gulp of my drink as did he. He then placed the glass on the railing and his hand made it's way in his pocket. My eyes followed the movement of his hand out of curiosity.

He then removed a velvet box from his pocket before looking at me. "I bought you this." He opened it, revealing a beautiful necklace on which my name was written in gold. I let out an inaudible gasp at the beautiful piece of jewellery in front of me.

He slowly and carefully removed it from the box before holding it in front of me, allowing me to have a better look. "I don't know what you'd prefer so I got you a necklace," his eyes kept on glancing from me to the necklace.

"Look, it's alright if you don't like it. I can return i—" I cut him off by shaking my head, "I love it. Thank you!" He exhaled in relief shot me a genuine smile, "thank god! They wouldn't have accepted if I had to return it."

I let out a chuckle but froze when he took a step foward. He had a hesitant look on his face. It was the first time I was seeing him being hesitant. He took a deep breath before asking, "Can I?"

I nodded. He then walked pass me and stood behind me. I could feel heat radiating from his body to mine. I sucked in a sharp breath when I felt his finger brushing against my skin as he gently shoved my hair away. He then carefully fastened the necklace around my neck and put my hair the same way it was before. He allowed his finger to linger on my skin a little more before letting his hand fall to his sides. His touch burnt my skin and sent me electric shocks at the same time.

I adjusted the necklace in front of me before looking down, tracing the letters with my fingers. When I looked up I saw Ace standing in front of me, his eyes fixed on the necklace.

"It looks good on you."

"It does," I nodded in agreement, "I really like it. Thank you."

"You thought I didn't bring you anything, didn't you?" He asked, amusement in his tone, "when you heard what my dad said about him and mom getting the gifts for you, I saw disappointment on your face."

"I wasn't disappointed," I rolled my eyes, "you definitely can't read people."

"I can read people very well," he grabbed his glass again, "and right now I can tell you're lying."

"I'm not."

"You're still lying."

"Not."

"Are."

"Not."

"Are."

"So you're Italian?" I questioned, changing the subject. He chuckled before nodding, ". What gave it away?"

"Your last name," I replied, "and the faint Italian accent in your voice. It's faint but it's there."

"You're observant." He pointed out, emptying his glass before placing it on the railing again, "I was born in Italy but left when I was eight."

"Why?"

"No reason. Just felt like it." He replied with a shrug. "We settled down here, in America ever since."

"Have you ever returned there?" I asked out of curiosity. He glanced at me before turning his back to me. He placed both his hands on the railing before raising his head to look at the dark sky filled with stars.

"Thrice every two months," he replied, "my grandparents live there."

And the main base of the Italian mafia as well.

"You didn't answer my question."

"What question?" I asked back which made him turn around, "what are you doing here when you should be partying downstairs with everyone else?"

"I told my parents that I did not want a party but they did it anyw—" I was cut off by someone, "oh thank god you're here! Everybody's looking for you downsta— who's this?" Both Ace and I looked at the direction of the voice and I saw James standing there.

A C E

I stared at the unfamiliar guy standing at the entrance of the balcony.

"Who are you?" He asked, raising his brows at me.

"None of your business." I replied coldly. I didn't know the guy but I could tell that I already hated him. Ivy sighed beside me before asking him, "what are you doing here?"

"I came looking for you." He replied, walking towards Ivy who took a step closer to me. The guy's steps faltered as he stopped feet away from her, "everybody is looking for you downstairs. Let's go."

"You can go. I'll be there in a while." Ivy responded, nodding towards the door. The guy glanced at the door, "your dad sent me looking for you. He said if I find you, I'm to take you downstairs."

"Tell him I'm busy with Ace," annoyance was clear in Ivy's voice, "and I'm not a kid, I don't need you to take me anywhere. You can leave."The guy let out a scoff before leaving.