Twenty-nine

I V Y

I stood with my parents who were talking to some people I paid no attention to. My eyes were fixed on the entrance, waiting when Ace would come.

But he wasn't coming.

He was late to his own birthday party—What a man!

"Ivy? You remember James, don't you? Why don't you keep each other's company, while we elders have a chat?" Dad pointed to the familiar face in front of me. I nodded, flashing him a fake smile, "Hi Jason."

"It's James." He corrected with a scowl, "but sure, Mr Reed. Come on, Ivy. I'll keep you company while your parents have a talk with mine."

"Fine," I reluctantly agreed and walked away from my parents along with James. We stopped in front of a table and he poured two glasses of wine, handing me one which I took before thanking him.

"So, Ivy, how do you know Ace?"

"I could ask you the same thing." I started at him curiously. There was something about him which screamed, 'don't trust me'.

"Mr and Mrs Romano and my parents are business partners." James replied, "I didn't know Ace. Never met him before but I did hear of him. Youngest richest man in the world." There was a certain bitterness in his tone, "a real daddy and mommy's boy, that one."

"Just like you," I retorted, "you are a mommy and daddy's boy too."

"I'm not." He rolled his eyes, "I do my own stuff. I don't need my parents every fucking time."

"He doesn't either." I defended, "Ace owns his own clubs, restaurants and other stuffs. He did all these on his own."

"Yeah?" He raised his brows, "how do you know that? You seem to know a lot about hi—" he cut himself off, his eyes falling on my neck, "cool necklace. Where'd you get it?"

"It was a gift from someone." I replied, touching the necklace he gifted me, "why?"

"Just curious." He muttered, "I gave you a necklace for your birthday. Did you see it? Did you like it?"

"Oh yeah, the one with a dove, right?" I asked to which he nodded, "yeah, that's the one."

"It's really pretty, thanks." I smiled and watched as he frowned, "then why didn't you wear it? You wore this one instead. Was it from your boyfriend or something?"

"Just a close friend."

"Oh?" He arched his brows, "aren't we close friends too, Ivy?"

"Dude, I barely know you." I snapped, rolling my eyes, "the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Now, now, that's not how you talk to someone who you're going to spend your entire life with," He said with a serious and cold expression, "you need to be taught manners, darling. I'll gladly teach them to you." His left arm reached out to grab mine and he pulled me to him. I was thankful that I already drank the wine otherwise that would've spilled on me.

I gritted my teeth in anger and tried to wiggle out of his grip but he ended up putting his other hand on my waist, grabbing it tightly. "Don't tell me you don't want me as much as I want you. That would be a lie."

"Let me go, you stupid motherfucking idiotic piece of shit!" I said, gripping the glass tightly in my hands. Before he could say anything, a hand was placed on his shoulder and my eyes met with an unfamiliar face.

"Why do I have a feeling that she does not want to be held by you?" The guy who couldn't be older than twenty five questioned in a cold yet threatening voice. James left me and turned around to look at the guy. He looked almost like Ace except his eyes were hazel instead of blue and he had brown hairs.

"And who might you be?" James asked, tilting his head to the side, "who do you think you are to prevent me from doing whatever I want to my future wife?"

"Future wife?" My eyes widened, his words registering in my head.

The guy let out a chuckle, "by her reaction, I don't think she's your future wife. And she certainly did not look to like it when you were touching her."

"Look, dude just get the fuck out of my way." James snapped, waving his hand at the guy who stayed still and raised his brows at him, "my name is Kade Romano." James's eyes widened when he continued, "you're James Whitmore, right? Son of Davis?"

He nodded, gulping, "I'll…uh…I'll just leave. My parents are calling me. I'll see you around, Ivy." He then walked—no, he ran away.

"Ivy as in Ivy Reed? Mason's little sister?" Kade asked, looking at me. I nodded, "and you're…"

"Ace's cousin. Kade." He grinned, his cold personality long gone, "it's really great to meet you, Ivy."