Forty-five

I V Y

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you, dad." Ace muttered, biting his quivering lips, "I'm probably the worst son ever."

-Vincenzo Alberto Romano.
Beloved son, brother, husband, father, uncle and friend.

I held Ace's hand in mine comfortingly. He only squeezed it in response as we both stared down at Vincenzo's gravestone. It's been around an hour since the funeral ended. I stayed behind with Ace, Kade, Asher and Cole. My parents also came but they left with the others.

My eyes fell on Cole who was shedding continuous tears. His eyes were red and puffy and he was a mess. Kade had his hand on his back as he patted him gently. From what I've been told, Cole was really close with Vincenzo-almost as close as Ace was. Cole was more of a softie. He didn't bother to hide his emotions. He let it all out.

"Will you be okay?" I asked Ace whose eyes were also red but he wasn't crying. He was holding back his tears.

"Go." He nodded to Cole's direction, knowing he needed more comfort that he did. I placed a kiss on his cheek before walking towards Cole. Kade and Asher shot me a nod before parting away.

"Hey." I said to Cole who looked up at me. He sniffled, "hi."

"Come here." I opened my arms for him and without wasting a second, he hugged me. I patted his back soothingly, "it's going to be okay."

"No, it's not." His voice was hoarse due to crying so much, "d-do you know that he was the first person to whom I told I was gay? I always knew I could trust him. Hell, I-I know it sounds selfish but I loved him more than my own dad." His voice was low. "I can't-stay strong. I'm not like my brothers or Ace, I'm-I'm not going to burry my emotions. Uncle Vince had always told me to let it all out."

"That's what you're doing." I muttered, "you're strong, one of the strongest guys I know. I'll always be there for you."

"Promise?" Cole asked to which I nodded, "promise."

"Thank you." He hugged me tighter, "I love you."

"I love you too." I smiled before adding, "in a friendly way."

He chuckled before sniffling. I then broke the hug and smiled at him, "oh my god, you need a shower"

"Are you saying I stink?" He gasped dramatically while wiping his tears. I nodded, "you need a good shower."

"I take it back. I do not love you."

"You know you do." I poked his cheeks earning a scoff from him, "I'm going to take a shower not because I stink but because I want to. And I do not stink."

"Bye." I ruffled his hair making him ruffle mine in return. He then grinned at me before saying, "bye, bestie." Then he walked away after exchanging a few words with his brothers. I turned to Ace who was smiling softly at me. I returned the smile, walking towards him.

"Ready to leave?" I asked to which he nodded and held my hand in his. Kade and Asher approached us and Kade, who had his hands in his pockets spoke up, "Ace, you said you'd do it after the funeral."

"I will." Ace nodded, "I'm going to do it-" he looked at me, "-you should return home. You must be tired."

"Yeah. I should check on Mason and my parents." I said to which he nodded before kissing me deeply. He then broke away and placed a lingering kiss on my forehead, "I'll text you."

"Okay." I replied before Kade and Asher, both, pulled me for a hug one by one. Then I left, going straight to my house.

I opened the door and found my parents sitting in the living room, both of them having glum expressions on their faces. Mason was sitting on another couch with Isabella and they both also held the same expressions as my parents.

"Ivy, you're back." Mom said, flashing me a weak smile, "come sit with us, darling."

I took a seat on another couch across them and looked at them, "what is going on?"

"Nothing." Dad brushed it off, "How is Ace holding up?"

"He'll be fine." I replied, my eyes darting from person to person who in front of me. Something was clearly wrong and it wasn't Vincenzo's death. It was something else.

"Did something happen?"

"No." Mason was quick to reply, "it's just that Vincenzo's death affected us all so...yeah. Anyway, you've had a long day, baby sis-so I think you should rest a bit yeah?"

"I don-" I was cut off by dad, "your brother is right, sweetheart. You look tired. Go take a rest."

I reluctantly nodded before going to my room.