Twenty-four

Spending the rest of the day with Ace went better than I thought. But it was also annoying with the looks that Izzy kept sending in my direction every now and then.

"And Ivy won yet again!" Mason groaned, throwing a pillow in my direction, successfully hiting my head. "I don't get it. You win every racing games but don't want to do a real race."

"Because she's scared she's gonna lose." Ace spoke up from beside me, flashing me a smirk, "am I not right?"

"No," I rolled my eyes, "you are not right. It's simply because I don't want to."

"Whatever helps you sleep," he shot back. Mason threw yet another pillow at me which I successfully caught this time, "if you do that again, I'm gonna choke you with it."

Isabella let out a laugh while Mason raised his hands in front of him, "won't do it again, baby sis." I threw the pillow back at Mason making it hit him right in the face.

"Come on, Ivy, rematch." Ace said, nudging me lightly in the shoulders. I nodded, grabbing my console and facing the screen.

"Come on…" Ace muttered, clicking every button on the console like a mad man, "come on, Ace, you don't lose. You aren't a looser and…fuck I lost!" He threw the console on the bed, threw his head back and covered his face with his hand.

Isabella and Mason clapped from behind us, congratulating me.

"You cheated." Ace pointed out childishly, "it's not possible for someone to win every damn ti—" he cut himself off, "never mind. It's actually possible."

"Remembering yourself, aren't you?" Isabella asked with a smirk.

Ace hummed in response before releasing an exhausted groan, "I'm bored."

"When aren't you?" Mason questioned, a hint of bitterness hidden in his tone.

"What's up with you?" Ace turned around to look at him, "you've been acting like a dick lately. Is something wrong? Someone bothering you?"

"No," Mason visibly gulped, "everything's fine." Ace stared at him for a few seconds before rolling his eyes, "I know something is going on. Are you pregnant?"

"What the fuck, Ace?" Isabella chuckled, "I'm pretty sure you ran away from a mental—"  she was cut off by the door which was pushed open by none other than my mother.

"Hey kids," she grinned, "I just came to remind Ace that it's 6:50 pm and he hasn't returned home yet. Rose just called me considering that Ace isn't answering his phone." Ace quickly checked his phone and let out a string of curses under his breath before he stood up.

"Where's my jacket?" He asked, looking around like crazy when it was right under his nose. I picked it up and threw it at him.

"Thanks love," he smiled, "bye guys. I know someone who's gonna die if he doesn't reach home in ten minutes." He then left.

A C E

"Hey mo—" I was cut off by her shouting which made me put the phone away from my ears. "Ace Liam fucking Romano, I'm gonna murder you in cold blood. Do you hear me? I'm going to kill you and nobody is going to stop me. If you don't get your ass here in tw—" she cut herself off and took a deep breath, "wait a second, are you using the phone while driving? Do you want to meet with an accident? Do you want to die?!"

I bit my lip, her words processing in my head. She said she was gonna kill me when I get home but she was also worried that I might die in an accident.

I had to refrain myself from talking back. Mom was furious and it was clear in her tone.

"I'll be there in five." I replied calmly and heard her sigh, "the guests are already here, Ace. They're waiting for you. You know how your uncles are. They never miss an opportunity to criticize our family." And it was true.

Dad's got two brothers; Leonardo and Raphael. Uncle Leonardo was married, his wife died two years ago leaving him with his two children, a daughter and a son while uncle Raphael has three sons and his wife who recently left him. My uncles were jealous of my dad because he was the one who took over the Italian mafia. But dad didn't once give a fuck about what they think as he should. My grandfather was the only one who was preventing his sons from killing each other.

"Old ma—" I cut myself off, correcting myself, "grandfather's there already?"

"Yeah," mom paused, "he's playing candy crush while his sons are criticising each other. Now I'm disconnecting this call. I want you back home safe and sound, idiot." Before I could say anything, she cut the call.