XVI

"The case you asked for sir" one of my men handed me the fourth murder case this month

"The case you asked for sir" one of my men handed me the fourth murder case this month. Somehow the people I was in business with were getting killed at a rapid pace. For what reason in particular? We didn't have that intel yet. What we did know is that the person who does it, they are very skilled and careful when they kill their victim.

I've sent bribes on every corner of every police department in the city to be my eyes and ears if anyone is suspicious or linked to these killings and so far for the past two years we have concluded that the person works alone and has a specific motive only known to them. It brought distraught in the underworld. Powerful men being targeted and killed without mercy amongst the heavy security surrounding them. It made people feel on edge on who may be next.

The person acted in no specific order to say they were trying to bring down a trafficking ring or steal shipments. The men themselves were the value in which they seek to kill, not to mention the fact no man has ever survived to tell the story as each die tortured. Rumours of the devil in disguise coming for the most sinned. Hell had finally had enough and was coming up from its dusk to haunt, kill and prey on the kings of the underworld. The sick laughter I let out after I heard it.

We're all sinners

Opening the file are pictures of Drew Mecil who was killed two days ago in his hotel room in his hotel. I slammed the pictures on the desk making the man in front of me jump a little. "Get out" I shooed him away. Mr Mecil was a common man I partnered up with for business and he had asked for my service to provide more security. Whoever this motherfucker is managed to get into his hotel room without a trace from inside the hotel and managed to vanish soon after Mecil was found. Again, no trace of where they went or how they got out without being spotted by security cameras.

A knock brought me out my thinking. "Come in"

"I sent a team to go check over the security footage in Mr Mecil's hotel and with your approval I can check every workers background and for how long they have been employed to work the-"

"Don't bother" I sighed. Cora looked up from her file "Maybe this would give us a clu-"

"Are you undermining my authority" the stern of my voice shook her "Come here" I gestured with my finger for her to approach.

"Sir, I understand I'm sor-"

"Cora get the fuck over here" she jumped at my sudden change of tone and hesitantly started moving until she was a foot from my desk.

"Come closer Cora I don't bite" my expressionless attitude didn't go unnoticed as she swallowed hard. I could practically see the fear radiating off of her. She took another step forward and stopped right at the edge of my desk. As I stood up, her eyes nervously following mine as I overtook her in height. I grabbed her by the throat, instinctively her hand reached to loosen my hands grip but with no success she started apologising repeatedly.