V

Some people write their own fate or some people believe in destiny and let the course of the path that is chosen for them take its course. I never knew where I stood. A part of me hoped that I would find out in time but deep down my every move seemed to have a purpose. A purpose chose for me since I was born. Unravelling the secrets meant I had to grow up and dig more into my past. At least that's what my gut was telling me.

"William" I whispered.

"That wasn't so hard now was it" he said in a soothing voice.

My heartbeat accelerated at a thousand beats per second. I wondered if he could hear it.

"Calm down" he slowly said in my ear. His finger rested on my pulse on my wrist. Was he counting my heart rates?

I was shaking and confused and in some way excited. He never noticed once showed any interest in High School towards me.

I let go and detached myself from him. I bumped into two people, I turned around mumbling a sorry and made my way towards the entrance doors that led into the masquerade hall.

I managed to make eye contact with Dean my bodyguard. He sensed something was wrong and gave me a nod and started walking towards me.

This whole night, I have had the feeling that this is more than just a masquerade ball. Something weird and slightly frightening is happening here and I wish nothing more than to get away from it.

I was at least three metres away from the door, two men stuck by it. "Miss I'm sorry, but you cannot pass through".

"Let me throu-" I started to argue.

"I have authorisation" Dean said from behind. They gave each other a quick nod and the big doors opened. Stepping through the doors, I went through before my guard. The sound of my heels clicking the wooden floor echoed in the large room as I quickly walked as far as I could from the Ball room. 

I could start hearing the outside noise and I knew I was approaching the doors which led outside with all the reporters and photographers still situated there.

"Miss Princeton, are you alright?" Dean managed to make out.

"Ye- no, no I am not alright. I haven't been here more than an hour and I already want to leave, Dean do you even agree with all this?" I ran my hands through my hair keeping my eyes fixated on the entrance doors of the building.

Exasperating my frustration, I awaited Dean's response.

No response.

"Okay, don't answer that, but really for what, forcing us to find 'the one'" shaking my head the silence was almost deafening.

No response.

"Dean!" I frustratedly shouted as I finally turned around.

I saw him lying unconscious on the ground.
"Oh my god" I ran to him. Checking to see any possible injuries, he may be having a heart attack. I started panicking and opened my mouth to call for help.

But before I could someone pulled me from behind and put their hand over my mouth. I tried to scream and found that no use, I punched the person in the leg. A groan came out, a male one. I didn't stay around to find out who it was.