VI

My little feet tiptoeing towards the kitchen as I heard my parents fight. "She can't be included in our ancestor's lives" "Do you think we have a choice" my mum cried out to my dad. "She is a child and we are safe here" my dad slammed his hand on the table but my mum wasn't fazed. "You don't know that" she said shaking her head. "One day she will find out and there will be nothing stopping her, not even us" my dad sighed as he turned away from my mother. "Training her is enough, she won't be like you Evelyn" my father cupped my mum's face as he engulfed her in a hug. Her face stone cold, her eyes averted to mine, almost like she knew I was there all along.

"Victoria"

"Victoria!" a second voice said louder.

Opening my eyes, I instantly tried to get up. "Miss, I think you should lie down for a couple of minutes" out of fear my eyes widened as I saw paramedics all around me.

"I'm fine" I said as I tried to get up once again. I was thankful they didn't try to stop me. I was back on my feet "Mum" I hugged her tightly. I could sense her tense because of my unexpected move for affection. She relaxed and hugged me just as tightly back.

Then all the previous real events came flooding back and I pulled back. "What happened?" I asked "They found a drug, a sedative, in your system. You were drugged. "if you're feeling okay to carry on with this night then we'll be leaving" one of the paramedics said.

I nodded "Thank you" I said. She gave me a tight smile and headed off with the other two paramedics. I turned back to my mother and she was looking down looking guilty as ever.

"Mum?" I grabbed her by the shoulders "Are you okay?" I asked worriedly, she looks so frightened. She shook her head and scoffed lightly "I should be asking you if you're okay – I sighed - Victoria you can't even begin to imagine what was going through my head when I saw you sprawled all over the floor... I thought you were dea-"

"-But I'm not, I'm here, I'm okay and I need you to be okay too" I surprised her and myself. Who knew I had such wisdom.

"Where's Dad?" I asked.

She pointed at me "He doesn't know anything about this, all he knows is that you tripped because of the klutz that you are, we don't want him to go on a killing spree to find who really did this to you" she said.

"Someone?" I asked innocently.

"All the security footage was erased, and don't even get me started on you're stupid bodyguard" she said.

"Is he okay!? He's not.." I asked fearing the worst.

She scoffed "The useless idiot might as well be" my eyes widened. Where is my mother... the preacher? I took this time to look around; security was in every corner of the room, some speaking into their earpieces.

"Miss Princeton" I looked behind my mother to see Dean my bodyguard.

"are you alright?" I said. My mother turned around "I told you to get out of here, you.are.fired!" she shouted at his face.

"My sincere aplo-" he began saying.

"I swear once you're contract finishes I'll make sure nobody hires you again" She shouted at him. I was amazed and stressed at the same time as my mother's outstanding heat of the moment.

"Mum, it wasn't his fault" I said.

She turned around to me "He had one job Victoria - she turned to face Dean - one job!" she hissed the last part.

"Victoria!" someone shouted. Why is everyone shouting? It was Kelly's mum who entered the ballroom.

My mum turned to me "It's fine she knows" and with that, she turned on her heel and walked off. She must be mad at me. I looked at Dean "I'm sure she didn't mean it" I said, in return, he gave me an apologetic sad smile. I felt bad for him; it was most definitely not his fault.

As I walked towards Kelly, I saw that her and my mum exchange weird glances at each other. Weird.

Something caught my eye near the stage. The curtain slightly moved and I saw a figure hide in the shadows, I squinted my eyes to somehow get a better focus.

"Come on Vicky, let's get this night over with" Kelly's mother said, I turned my attention to her. "Where's Kelly?" I said.

"After all you've been through; you still worry about everybody else." She said sadly.

'All I've been through', what did she mean by that. "Don't think about it too much Victoria" she said while we were walking.

I turned my head to the stage again. I wasn't delusional, there was a figure standing there...

_____________________