Piece of my heart

Freya

It was light, almost like a feather ghosting over my skin. Half asleep I turned my head scrunching up my nose. A warm hand set itself on my chest over my heart. Peaking my eyes open the tiniest amount I didn't see Lexa's head on her pillow. Opening my eyes fully I looked up at her. Propped up on her elbow she was gazing at me with her hand over my heart. Her eyes were swirling with emotion. Worry and regret being the ones most recognizable.

Setting my hand over hers I brought it to my lips to gently kiss the cut on her palm. "I'm alright. Clarke and Anna both agreed the cut isn't very deep" I said, my voice still filled with sleep.

Lexa closed her eyes for a moment, "I could have done more to stop her."

"She's gone now, she can't cause you any more pain. You did what you could and still managed to keep us from a war" I told her. Truly, I don't know how it could have been any different. Nia was never going to agree to remain peacefully in the coalition. She had to die.

Again she traced the cut and bruises on my neck with a delicate touch. The look in her eye shifted to something else. It was that look that made my heart beat faster. "You still got injured, hodnes" she said the look in her eyes intensifying.

Hodnes, I know what it means in trigedasleng. The term of endearment never failed to make me feel special. Like I was at the center of her world. And she was right there at mine.

Smiling at her I asked, "How long have you been awake, Lexa?"

"Not long" she answered quickly.

Quirking an eyebrow I pointedly looked around the room at the candles that were lit, "Really."

Lexa cracked a small smile. "Okay maybe for a little longer. I wanted to look at you while you were peaceful" she said.

"You're always looking at me" I said softly. She only smiled and shrugged her shoulder. Her green eyes were soft compared to how they were outside of this room. Her eyes were always soft with me. On the ark I never imagined I would meet someone like her. I never expected to live long enough to do so. Or even that someone like her would find an interest in me. But Lexa did, she see's me. "I love you" I stiffened as it registered that I let it slip out like that.

Sitting up I knocked her hand off my neck. "I um I didn't mean to say that out loud" I panicked looking away from her. Groaning I buried my face in my hands. She wasn't saying anything. Great, I've scared her.

"Freya-"

"No I should-" I jumped out of bed pacing to the other side of the room. "Go somewhere else" I shook my head. Running my hands through my hair I tried to keep myself together. What if she doesn't feel as strongly about me as I do about her?

She set her hand on mine gently urging me to turn around. Frowning I did so. Lexa was on her knees looking up at me with a smile. "Ai hod yu in" she said squeezing my hands.

A jolt of electricity shot through my body at her words. "You do?" I could hardly get out the words.

"Of course I love you, Freya. I've meant it every time I've said the word hodnes" she said.

I shook my head laughing lightly, "I thought it was just a term of endearment."

"It is, hodnes. I promise my words are true" she said still kneeling in front of me. My heart was beating extremely fast, was this what true happiness felt like?

"So are mine" I said pulling her up and smashing my lips against hers. I kissed her deeply holding her face in my hands. Walking her back until her legs hit the bed and she fell. Lexa held on to the front of my tank top slightly out of breath. Grabbing her hips I situated my leg between hers and connected our lips again. Kissing down to her neck I pulled up her night dress to above her hips. Lexa let out a breathless whimper.