The City of Light

Freya

Abby held her stethoscope to my back, listened for a minute then moved to a new spot. I'd ignored her throughout the process of changing my blood. She insisted on checking my vitals even though Clarke could have done it.

The blonde was the first to support making me a nightblood to go with her. They could try to take the keys from me and I know Bellamy thought about it. But their pity for me outweighed the logic in doing that. Instead they tried to tell me about Allie the AI that is controlling the people in the city once they accept the key. None of it mattered to me.

Lexa is in the city of light and I am going to find her.

"I know it's hard loosing a loved one" Abby began to say.

"Don't talk to me, Abby" I cut her off flatly. The older doctor sighed removing her stethoscope from listening to my lungs. Taking it as shes finished I walked away.

Gaia stood with Clarke and Octavia near the throne. "Once I give you the flame you will become unconscious. I will then give you the key to the city of light" she was explaining. I could feel their eyes follow me as I passed them. Running my hand over the arm of the throne I thought of her sitting here.

On her throne Lexa radiated authority. This was where she commanded our people from. How sexy I thought she looked. How comfortable she was in her role no matter how stressful it became.

She told me her spirit would choose wisely yet Aden has his doubts. If she didn't choose him then who? I know this is their way but they could have done more to save our commander. I made sure Titus was aware of his mistakes. Washing the layers of dried blood from my hands had been difficult. It was only when Aden came to gather me that I could remove my stare from the black blood floating away.

"Is there a second chair? Freya should be the one to sit on the throne" Clarke asked quietly. "Good. Is everyone ready?" I heard her ask next.

"We're ready, is someone going to-" Bellamy's sentence trailed off.

A hand set itself on my shoulder gently. My initial thought was Lexa approaching me from behind. I almost turned to hug her before the feeling faded reminding me she was gone. Liquid glassed over my eyes and I bit my lip as it trembled threatening to let out a sob. 

Taking a deep breath I forced it away and turned to Octavia as she spoke, "I need your sword." Nodding to show I understood I messed with the buckle around my waist. She took it from me and waited for my dagger. As I pulled it from the side of my thigh I couldn't stop myself from running my finger over the blade. There was a small sting as droplets of black blood rose to the surface of my finger pad. "I'll make sure you get them back" she said closing her hand around mine.

Slowly I lowered myself onto the throne. It felt cold without Lexa. Blinking I tore my eyes away from the carvings in the handles. Clarke was sitting beside me as Gaia moved her hair out of the way. "It won't be like this for long" she said to me.

All I could manage was a small shake of my head. How could it not? This pain was enough to last a life time. A life time I should've had with Lexa.

Lincoln wasted little time in tying me to the throne. He tied a longer rope around my chest and the back of the throne. Then another around my wrists to hold them together securely. "Lincoln" I called out to him. Everyone else in the room was merely a blur. He hummed squatting at my side. "Once this is over I need you to go get someone, head northeast from the back of the tower. There's a cabin" I said. Aden was still waiting there for me but he'd be fine for a day or two.

"You don't have to worry" he told me.

Gaia took his place standing inches from my feet. "Freya kom trikru are you prepared?" She asked bringing her cupped hands toward me. I confirmed silently, seeing one of the chips I gave her. I looked over to Clarke to see her passed out, her head leaned to the side. "Here is the key to the city of light" Gaia held the chip out to me. I stared at its symbol. She placed it on my tongue taking a step to the left after.