『 Chapter 5: Wounded 』

✵ ✵ ✵

You walked home slowly, not minding the rain. Your conscience was screaming at you. You should have killed that Night Fury the first time you saw it. If that creature got found by anyone, you would be "grounded" for life.

And Hiccup! He made you so angry! Dragons were the bane of Vikings' existence, and he wanted to what? Be friends with them?!

You let out a groan angrily. Then you made up your mind.

You had to kill that Night Fury. You didn't care if Hiccup found out, he was the least of your concerns. What mattered now was keeping up with your reputation. You redirected your path, instead heading towards the cove.

Due to the lack of half of a tail, you assumed that the Night Fury would still be there. You ran as fast as you could towards the cove. You got to the ledge and slid down the rocks, slowly making your way towards the dragon.

It was currently hiding in a small cave, trying to keep itself out of the rain.

You pulled out your spear and crept closer.

Its eyes shot open and it stared at you. You stopped in your place, the dragon crept back into its cave. Hiccup was right. The dragon's eyes were full of sadness, you felt a twinge inside your heart.

You shook it off, but your moment of hesitation was a major flaw. You heard a roar from behind you and turned around. Overhead flew a large silver and purple dragon. It landed on the ground in front of you, blocking your way to the Night Fury.

The dragon you saw in front of you wasn't just any dragon, from the scar that still wasn't completely healed on its neck you could tell it was the Silver Phantom from the other day. The one you had sliced.

You noticed the stance of the dragon, it was protecting the Night Fury. You lowered your spear a bit. The dragon didn't even lunge for you, it stood still, staring into your soul. You could feel the hostility.

You were shocked, you had assumed that all dragons would immediately go for the kill unless they couldn't. But based on the protecting stance, each dragon had their individual feelings. You dropped your spear on the ground and kicked it behind you. You put up your hands and began walking backward, away from the creatures. Even though you had injured that dragon it didn't seem to want to hurt you, it just wanted to protect the Night Fury.

You turned around grabbed your spear and walked towards the exit. After leaving the cove you let out a sigh, putting your spear in its holster.

Vikings have spent years killing these dragons because we thought they were trying to kill us. Gobber said that a dragon would always go for the kill. But instead of killing you, that Silver Phantom just protected the other dragon.

The dragons aren't mindlessly killing Vikings, they are just defending themselves. The rain poured down as you walked back to the Village. You walked down the path through the village and towards your house.

"(Y/N)?" You heard a voice call. You looked up seeing Hiccup standing in front of you. You clenched your jaw, "I thought you went home?"

You brushed your soaked hair out of your face, "Hiccup, I-" You thought through your next words carefully, "You were right." 

"What do you mean?" He asked, the rain made his brown hair even darker.

You crossed your arms, "Dragons do have feelings. They aren't just killing Vikings to kill them." You looked down at the ground, hating to admit it.

"What did you do?" Hiccup asked, you could hear the nervousness in his voice. He placed his hand on your shoulder, "What did you do?" He asked once more, his voice more demanding.