『 Chapter 4: The Book of Dragons 』

✵ ✵ ✵

The two of you made your way to where you found the dragon yesterday. He crouched down picked up one of the bola, he weighed it with his hand.

"See, as Gobber said, 'A dragon will always go for the kill.' So..." He looked up slightly, "Why didn't you?"

You followed as the boy stood up and continued walking. You may have been quite peeved with the boy, but you admired his determination. Anyone with this much determination would be great at helping out the village.

Hiccup hopped down some rocks, he leaned down stepping onto a ledge that looked over a cove. You followed and looked down at the ground, seeing some scales.

"Well, this was stupid." Hiccup said letting out a sigh. You tapped his shoulder lightly before leaning over and grabbing one of the scales, picking it up, and holding it in front of your face. As soon as you showed him the dragon flew by both of you. Shocked, you crouched down to the ground, trying to keep yourself out of view.

Hiccup copied your action before taking a couple of steps. You leaned forward, peeking over the boy's shoulder. The dragon fell back to the ground, landing and shaking itself off.

The boy in front of you pulled out his journal, now fully out on the ledge. He quickly sketched out the dragon while it was standing still, "Why don't you just... fly away?" He asked silently. You looked down at the dragon and then looked at the drawing. It looked pretty good. You then saw him smudge the paper, one half of the tail. You looked down at the dragon, noticing that it was missing a part of its tail. You leaned over his shoulder, looking at the drawing.

As soon as you made contact with the boy he dropped his pencil, he tried to grab it but it tumbled to the ground. You leaned back, quickly looking over at the dragon. The creature stared up at you, it seemed to recognize the both of you.

✵ ✵ ✵

You and Hiccup rushed into the Great Hall, you were both soaked from the rain outside. Thunder and lightning struck as you walked over to the tables.

"Alright. Where did Astrid go wrong in the ring today?" Gobber asked, gesturing to the girl.

Astrid let out a sigh, "I mistimed my somersault dive. It was sloppy. It threw off my reverse tumble."

"Yeah, we noticed." You joked. Astrid sent you a fake smile before the two of you chuckled.

Snotlout sent you a look, "No, no, you were great. That was so "Astrid"." He flirted. You glanced over, noticing Hiccup trying to find a seat. He moved over to the open space near Snotlout, but the black-haired boy moved over, filling the seat.

Hiccup then decided to sit at a different table, "She's right, you have to be tough on yourselves. Where did Hiccup go wrong?" Gobber asked.

You glanced up, and Snotlout gestured to the open seat next to him. You shook your head, deciding to stand instead. Anywhere was better than sitting next to Snotlout.

"Uh, he showed up?" Ruffnut deadpanned.

Tuffnut agreed, "He didn't get eaten."

"He's never where he should be," Astrid said, rolling her eyes.

Gobber nodded, "Thank you, Astrid. You need to live and breathe this stuff." Gobber threw down a book on the table, "The Dragon Manual. Everything we know about every dragon we know of." A loud roar of thunder sounded from outside, "No attacks tonight. Study up." The man said, looking outside.

Tuffnut sat up shocked, "Wait, you mean, read?"

"While we're still alive?" Ruffnut finished Tuffnut's sentence. You glanced over and saw Gobber walk out of the great hall.

Snotlout threw his chicken leg down on his plate, "Why read words when you can just kill the stuff the words tell you stuff about?"

"So you know how to kill it?" You deadpanned.

Fishlegs started stating facts about the dragons, "Oh! I've read it like, seven times. There's this water dragon that sprays boiling water at your face. And--And there's this other one that buries itself for like a week--"

Tuffnut lifted up his hand and pressed his pointer finger and middle finger against his thumb, immediately shutting Fishlegs up, "Yeah, that sounds great. See, there was a chance I was going to read that..."

"But now..." Ruffnut continued.

Snotlout stood up from the table, "You guys read, I'll go kill stuff." Fishlegs, Ruffnut, and Tuffnut got up and followed him out.

"Oh, and there's this other one that has these spines that look like trees..." Fishlegs rambled. Hiccup stood up and walked over to the table where Astrid was sitting and you were standing.

He looked down at it, "So I guess we'll share?"

"Read it," Astrid said, standing up and walking out.

Hiccup glanced over at you, "Heh. You gonna leave too?"

"Eh." You shrugged, "The book sounds kind of interesting."

You sat down at the table, opening the book. Hiccup went to get a candle since the hall was cleared out and the lights went out. The boy sat down next to you before reading the pages.

"Dragon classifications. Strike Class, Fear Class, Mystery Class." Hiccup read, "Thunderdrum: This reclusive dragon inhabits sea caves and dark tide pools. When startled, the Thunderdrum produces a concussive sound that can kill a man at close range. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight. Timberjack: This gigantic creature has razor-sharp wings that can slice through full-grown trees. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight. Scauldron: Sprays scalding water at its victim. Extremely dangerous. Changewing: Even newly hatched dragons can spray acid. Kill on sight." Hiccup seemed to grow increasingly nervous, "Gronckle, Zippleback, The Skrill, Boneknapper, Whispering Death. Burns its victims, buries its victims, chokes its victims, turns its victims inside-out. Extremely dangerous, extremely dangerous, kill on sight, kill on sight, kill on sight..."

You had moved from next to the boy to sit on the table, your legs dangling off, "Silver Phantom?" You read out loud, looking down at the book, "Stoker class, Speed: 9.2, Firepower: 7, Shot Limit: 6. This dragon is a silent killer that can camouflage above the clouds, stay vigilant." You finished.

Hiccup turned the page, "Night Fury: Speed, unknown. Size, unknown. The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. Never engage this dragon. Your only chance: Hide and pray it does not find you." Hiccup pulled out his journal and opened the drawing of the Night Fury, he set it down on the book, filling up the page. You assumed that he was going to research the dragon.

"Hiccup... why didn't you kill that dragon?" You asked, honestly wondering.

The boy glanced up at you, "I just... I couldn't. I looked in its eyes and it seemed sad." He paused, "These Dragons have a mind of their own, they are just defending themselves."

"What-" You started, "No they don't! They've been killing our people for generations! Hiccup my father was killed by a dragon!"

Hiccup opened his mouth to say something but decided against it.

You frowned angrily, if it wasn't for Hiccup, you would have already killed that Night Fury. You were startled by a loud lightning strike outside, Hiccup looked up at you shocked.

"You okay?" He asked.

You crossed your arms, "Fine. I uh... I gotta get home." You stood up from the table and hopped down, leaving the boy sitting confused and slightly frustrated. It was as if no one listened to him.

✵ ✵ ✵