『 Chapter 6: "Painful" Attempt at Making Friends 』

✵ ✵ ✵

You were now sitting at Gothi's house, after speaking with Gothi (the village elder) she explained how bad it was. You shouldn't be on your feet for the next few weeks. After setting the injury and pushing a few broken bones back in place, Gothi wrapped your leg and added a splint so it would stay stable, she also gave you a lather to rub on the now stitched-up wound. It would take a few months to completely heal.

Gobber and Hiccup stood next to you, the blonde man was talking to Gothi while Hiccup sat next to you in silence.

He turned to look at you, "So... I guess that means no dragon training for you." Hiccup commented before noticing your glum expression, "Listen... I- I'm sorry." He wrung his hands, "If I had been focusing then none of this would have happened..." He glanced over at your face, you were staring out at the sea, your eyebrows slightly furrowed, "Guess I have to babysit you now?" The boy joked.

You chuckled lightly, "I guess so..." You responded, turning to look at him, "I'm supposed to stay off my feet, but..." You paused, "Well- I want to go study some dragons." You noticed the boy's face light up, his green eyes sparkled with joy.

This was the first time you had suggested going to see the dragon. You weren't exactly too fond of the boy, he was so clumsy and reckless, but his ambition and joy were like a breath of fresh air. Being with him was so different than hanging out with your mother or Stoick. With Hiccup, you could be yourself.

"Alrigh' kids." Gobber called, turning around, "Time for us to bring (Y/N) home." The blonde man let out a sigh, "I'm sure we're about to get an earful from your mother."

Hearing those words made you wince, you loved your mother... but she was so protective. The slightest scratch on you could set her off.

And now your leg was broken.

This would not end well.

✵ ✵ ✵

"YOU DID WHAT!?" You heard your mother yell from the other room, loud footsteps pounded on the ground as she opened the door and ran into the room, "(Y/N)! Are you okay? How bad is it? Who did this?!" Gobber followed her out of the room. Your mother's gaze turned towards Hiccup, "You!" She pointed an accusing finger, "If you had been paying attention, none of this would have happened!"

Hiccup opened his mouth to apologize but was quickly cut off by you, "No mom, don't blame it on him. I was the one who jumped in the way. Not him." You said.

Your mother sent the boy a glare before turning toward you, "Don't you ever do that again!" She growled, "You hear me! I... I don't want to lose you too." She breathed.

"I'll be safer next time... okay?" You said to the woman.

She nodded, "Alright, from now on make sure you have someone accompany you, wherever you go." Your mother looked towards Gobber and then back to you, "You can still go to training, but since you are injured I want you to watch from the sidelines until your leg is healed. Got that?"

"Yes, mom." You agreed.

Gobber clapped once, "Great! So I've got you a small gift (Y/N)!" Said the man, enthusiastically. From behind him, he pulled out a wooden crutch, "Made it myself! Since you have to stay off your leg and all, but with this, you can still go to training and stuff!" The man paused, looking outside, "Oh! I have weapons to make! See you all tomorrow!" The man said, quickly exiting the house.

You and Hiccup shared a look, "So uh..." Hiccup started, "I gotta go to the forage to pick up some things..." The boy sent you a small wink, "Wanna come with me?"