Speaking without a voice

The night continued on in it's silence, the only sound to accompany the harbinger and You was the quiet sound of the ocean waves clashing with the large wooden boat but the night ended quick when you grew too tired to continue "teaching" him how to dance.

It's the next morning and you are once again, bored out of your mind however an important thought came to your mind. You stored a Fontain styled and decorated fan in your luggage, which gave you a good opportunity to teach your boss the language of the fan.

It was a rare teaching that you luckily received from your grandmother and it's stuck with you since youth. If you taught him at least how to understand the signs and language then it would be a huge advantage to speaking each other without other people noticing, to hide your relationship from others.

So you hopped off the bow of the boat and jogged back to your cabin, Mochi, who was wandering the boat and meowing at everyone as he does followed you back inside. As you walked down the hallway to your cabin you dragged your hand along the wall until you reached your door. Mochi sat in the door way as you dug through the small closet space you had where your bags sat at the bottom.

In one of those bags you found a black fan decorated with shimmering purple fabric and water droplets. "It's been a while since i've even laid a finger on this old thing.." you flicked the fan open and mimicked how your mother would do it when you attended parties with your family. For a while you sat there reminiscing about the memories and parties you went to with this fan in hand, then you remembered why you came to get this fan.

Mochi walked over and rubbed his chin on your knee to get your attention, "yes yes i know, come on" you pushed off the ground and stretched upwards before letting the small tom cat lead you out of the room. The fan didn't generally match your mask in terms of color but both were decorated in similar styles.

But the cool colors on the fan would compliment the fiery dress you planned to wear to the party, As you grew lost in thought Mochi stopped and pawed at the wooden door that was all too familiar. The cat looked up expectantly at you as you gently knocked on the door with a little rhythm.

He instantly seemed to know it was you, a quiet groan reaching your ears but despite that you opened the door and Mochi ran in. "Good uh..afternoon" he had his elbow on his desk with a irritated expression "I'm not a bard, I'm not here to entertain you" he sighed. "I'm not here for my own entertainment unfortunately..i had a thought while i was bored on the bow"

He looked up, "The language of the fan, it used to be taught as a means of communication for secret lovers at a party or a way to politely decline someone without wasting breath. It is also a way for assassins to meet without exposing their true intentions or relationships..i am here mostly for that reason" he seemed slightly intrigued by your serious tone and mild expression.

"Let me take this off.." you set the fan on his desk and untied the thin silver string, the mask detaching from your face. "Hm..i was hasty to get use to your stupid mask the first time we met, now i'm still not used to it being off" he commented as you set it on his desk by the fan and pulled a chair over so this would be easier.

"Ok so, see this?" you opened the fan and held it below your eye, "usually this means in terms of the language means, I'm shy but willing to hold a conversation" he leaned onto his hand, his expression bored and partially uninterested. "I can't teach you if you don't bother to listen!" being ever so brave and bold you picked up a nearby pencil and threw it at him.

As expected, he moved his head and drew his sword in record time to slice the pencil in two, "I should kill you for insubordination" he growled. "but~ then you would be considered a traitor and executed" he scoffed as his sword dispersed. "Continue" he said sharply as Mochi begged for the harbingers attention by pawing at his legs and trying to jump up onto his lap.

"we'll start with the more important ones.." you flipped the fan around so the decorated side faced you and slowly fanned your face. "Take a guess?" you jested "No" seeing he was in no mood for your childish jokes made your shoulders slump and your cheerful mood disappeared. "It means, meet me outside. Fanning slowly with the backside of the fan showing means meet me outside.."

"Convenient if we need to rendezvous to discus something.." that uninterested expression in his eyes seemed to slowly disappear as you continued. You closed the fan, the decorative side facing him again, then you brought it close to your left eye and slowly twirled it. "We're being watched" you said simply, "In case i notice someone listening in to us or someone watching from a hidden place, i can alert you without alerting them".

It seemed he was finally coming around to learning this convenient language, subconsciously petting Mochi as the tom cat purred. "Those are really the only two you need to understand but i need to refresh my mind so if you need me I'll be practicing" you stood up and reached to pick up your mask however he obviously had different plans.

You drew your hand back as the mask you tried to grab shocked you with infused electro energy, "Hey what's the big idea ass hat i have to wear that!" he hummed in response to your anger. "I find it interesting, this language of the fan.." he reached to grab your mask but you swatted his hand away, his response was just as quick.

He snatched your wrist and yanked you forward, "Hm? What?" he managed, somehow, to catch you off guard. He lifted your face up carefully, his thumb swiping something off your cheek; the way his eyes bored into you, as if he could hollow out your bodies organs just with his eyes. "Let..let go of me.." he tilted his head, "What was that? Sounds to me like the teaser becomes the teased..".

Your eyes narrowed, "i-i Don't tease anyone like this.." he frowned "you- just haven't had friends to tease h-huh?" he sighed. "Because..i don't think most people tease a friend by having them leaning over their desk.." though your body was stiff as a board, your tongue was still as functional as ever.

He released your wrist and you swiped your mask before he had the chance to stop you, "I would have happily stayed to teach you more, however I'm afraid you've ruined your chances~" since Mochi enjoyed being around the harbinger so much you chose to just let him spend the day with him, rather then taking the time to take him with you.

Besides, you had a few things to prepare now that you thought about it, after all.

We dock in Fontain tomorrow afternoon..

We are the outcasts; The broken
But together, we belong