Prologue

april_avery

"An interesting artifact from the neighboring town was retrieved, and was-"

"...right now we can see the media almost surrounding the museum-"

"...ang nasabing locket ay nabalitaang pagmamay-ari ng isa sa mga mayayamang-"

"...the item was surrendered in our local museum-"

A fair man with neatly-combed hair and a suit overheard the shifting of television channels inside the executive office. His colleagues were watching exclusive news from a local station. Nakaupo ang mga ito sa Chesterfield sofa, seryoso ring nakikinig gaya niya. He carefully listened to the hushed conversations of the people around him.

"Ah, narinig ko nga ang tungkol sa locket na 'yan," his co-worker suddenly spoke beside him. "Galing daw 'yan doon sa Soluna. Hindi ba't may bahay ka roon, Dyo?"

The man's phone suddenly beeped before Dyo could answer his question. He fetched it from his pocket and returned it immediately after he read the message.

"Nagpapatawag ng meeting ngayon ang QA specialist, let's go?" hikayat ng iba pa nilang kasamahan at tumayo mula sa pagkakaupo, hudyat ng pagtatapos ng breaktime nila.

The executive division prepared for this valuable meeting. This is one of their biggest projects that involves the local government plans so his affiliates are very eager to be part of the discussion. As they walked into the elevator with Dyo- the chief executive officer leading the way, they gripped their folders in hope of success.

DYO'S GAZE WANDERED far from the windowpane of the office. Somewhere in the woods where the tall trees cover the sight of the ground and where a bell of an old church can be seen.

The sound of papers being arranged caught his ears. He shifted his eyesight to the meeting table only to see that the meeting had already ended.

While marching towards the exit where a deserted sunlit hallway resides, he thought of all the important things he needed to accomplish for the day.

"Mister Caster! Mister Caster!"

He altered his head from the office where he came from and saw his business partner coming his way. When he marched at the same pace with Dyo, he tried to collect his posture and laughed his exhaustion off. Dyo is unaware that he walks faster than other people as he has quite long legs.

"Laking pasasalamat ko na natapos din ang meeting. Our product managers have a complicated proposal for the mayor's plan. We've already discussed na kulang ang inilaang funds for the solar project," aniya.

He glanced at the man beside him who did not show any expression at all, still, he continued. "I mean, the proposal is innovative but not practically smart. Creating software that the city can automatically utilize the solar panels. I don't understand it at all."

Unfortunately, it looked like Dyo's not listening to him.

"Ah, have you heard about the locket from Soluna? Oh, stupid me, I guess you have." He laughed as he shifted the subject. "You own a house there, right?"

Dyo showed no interest in him, but he kept talking, "Tell me, anong feeling na tumira ro'n? I mean, don't you feel creeped out? Do you sleep in that house that's located in Soluna?" he started asking foolish questions. "I wonder how much that house would be if it were to be sold. Are you thinking about selling the house? What's the price you've got in mind? Ohh, I already imagine what it would be like to be in the bed-"

"Are you sure?"

Dyo shot a dead question as he stopped in his tracks. The elevator in front of them opened and he threaded inside. His companion didn't even notice that they were already at the elevator.

His acquaintance looked hyped about the question. His thought went wilder while he stepped inside the automatic pulley. He looked so impatient as he waited for Dyo to speak.

"Do you know the town's condition?" Dyo queried in monotone. "The people who live there are out of their minds. I've seen many tragedies happen, and the chances of those tragedies happening again are high and always limitless. The crime rates keep increasing, and the disasters show no signs of ending."

There was a sudden silence inside the small quarter, and it was close to deafening. Puzzled was the expression evident on his partner's face. He wanted to laugh; thinking that Dyo is just being possessive of his home, which is normal, but a part of him wanted to believe him.

The elevator rang as it landed on the first floor of one of the tallest buildings in Manawari. As he thought of a comment to reply, he sensed danger and caution when he saw Dyo stare at him. His knees almost wobbled, and his body hair rose; he felt the weight of the words Dyo released. The latter stepped out of the elevator, leaving his business partner inside, confused and threatened.

Entirely unaware of what's ahead of their present, they continued walking, mindlessly talking to peel off exhaustion. As soon as he stepped out of the building, a white butterfly greeted him. Dyo was completely immersed in his thoughts. He failed to notice that it landed on his shoulder.

The rays in the background are too bright for that day as if relinquishing its final strength and hope. Everything might be warm for today but this shall fade as the tale begins.