Chapter 21

THE PLACE WAS filled with mellow screams. Selene and Aelia were bawling their eyes out, silently pleading to be freed. Endymion's relentlessly trying to loosen the rope gripping his wrists.

In contrast to his companions' despair, Dyo's unwittingly calm. He already bargained a great price. Wala na siyang dapat ipangamba.

But was it enough? Tutuparin ba ni Soluna ang pangako nito? Paano kung wala lang ito silbi sa huli?

What if Soluna deceives him?

Dyo shook the doubts out of his head. Ngayon, kailangan lang niyang magtiwala.

"No!" napapitlag siya sa lakas ng sigaw ni Selene.

The townsfolk are slowly closing in on Juliette. May dala silang mga sulo. Namayani ang katahimikan mula sa dating nakakahindik na ingay. Nakatitig lamang ang mga tao sa kawalan na hindi man lang kumukurap, parang mga estatwa.

Just then, Endymion noticed something - a literal flicker of hope.

A lit torch rolled near him. Hindi niya alam saan ito galing but he could only care less about how it appeared. His thoughts were filled with using it to escape.

Dali-dali niya itinapat ang nakataling pulso sa humihinang apoy. He must not waste a second.

Nakatingin ang mga kasama niya sa kanya, silently cheering him on. For the first time since they've been captured, nabuhay ang kanilang pag-asa.

"Come on," Endymion said with a soft groan, his wrists shaking. But the heat is taking its sweet time. His frustration grew.

Selene looked at the frozen townsfolks, "Bakit hindi sila gumagalaw?"

Sabay na nanlaki ang kanilang mga mata when a growing fire began to slowly advance on Juliette. She was tied to a pole, her head shrouded with a blood red weaved sack.

Muling kumawala ang luha sa mga mata ni Selene. The impending tragedy is just too much. Hindi niya alam paano nila 'to malalampasan.

Just then, Endymion had finally untied his hands. He didn't waste time to celebrate and proceeded to quickly help the others. They moved in a silent haste, afraid to attract attention kahit para namang hindi sila napapansin ng mga naka-estatwa pa ring grupo.

As soon as they're all out of their bounds, they were quick on their feet to take action. They're certain na hindi nila kayang talunin ang nakapalibot sa kanilang panganib. They only knew that they need to fight.

All except Dyo.

He just stood there and watched them push the statue-like crowd aside to get to Juliette.

Tutulungan kami ni Soluna, his thoughts echoed over and over again.

On the other hand, Endy, Aelia, and Selene managed to get close to the fire. They came face-to-face with a familiar figure. His glaring eyes met theirs with contempt.

Facundo.

By the way he's staring at them, it was clear that he was waiting for them. Facundo drew his sword.

Without thinking twice, Endy stepped forward and grabbed whatever he could throw at Facundo to stun him. His hands picked a stone and he aimed for his head pero nakailag ito. Facundo swayed his weapon at him and he managed to dodge it. Endy then threw his body towards him and they both fell on the ground. Nabitiwan din nito ang dalang sandata.

Selene joined to kick Facundo's rib, hard. Aelia dashed for the sword.

Facundo regained his strength. There was sputtered blood coming from his mouth before throwing a punch on Endymion's face. It took a lot of force, a black magic, that Endymion was plunged into the air and landed inches from the blazing fire. Selene tried to kick the lying Facundo but he held her legs and gave a punch to her stomach. Napaluhod si Selene sa sakit. When the friar stood in front of the kneeling Selene, he balled his fist and aimed a jab to her face.