Chapter 15

THE SOUND OF KNOCKING became louder and so was the rumbling of their hearts inside their chest. All of their senses suddenly came to life as fear started to creep into their bones. The air was thick with something too familiar for Dyo.

Danger.

As soon as Dyo opened the door, he realized why Juliette had escaped. There are approximately seven nuns in front of him. Each of them is wearing their ill-fitting full-length black robes. He recognized some of them, sila ang mga madre na nasa bahay-ampunan.

There were shadows in their eyes that Dyo didn't notice when he first met them. In his head, he silently thanked Aelia for standing firm for the kid.

He stood still and met their gazes. "Magandang gabi." Dyo turned to the nun who spoke. She's the one who welcomed him in the orphanage, the nun who received the donation, the one who introduced Juliette. 

Her stare slowly shifted from Dyo into the interior of his house. Her eyes roamed around without even blinking.

Dyo matched her gaze, unyielding. "What do you need?"

The nun started talking to him, but her eyes were fixed in his house. "Nakita mo ba ang batang si Juliette?"

"I didn't," he said.

She smirked, eyes glistening with suspicion. "Nawawala si Juliette magmula nang bumisita ka sa bahay-ampunan, at may nakapagsabing sumunod siya sa'yo noong gabi'ng iyon."

"You have an unreliable source then. You're searching in the wrong place," he claimed with a dismissive tone.

Sinusuri ni Aelia ang kilos ng mga kasama ng madre. They are just staring at them, unmoving. That caused the hair on the back of her neck to stand up, but she did everything to stay still and shrug off her fear.

"Sigurado ka ba d'yan?" the nun taunted. "Kung gayon ay sisiyasatin namin ng sandali ang iyong bahay upang mapatunayan ang iyong sinabi."

Tila handa na siyang maglakad pa-abante nang hinarangan siyang muli ni Dyo.

"Who told you that you have the right to step into my house?" His voice was ringing with authority.

No matter how many times he denies it, Dyo can't fool himself. He cares about them. He cares about Juliette, about Aelia and her friends. His heart silently treasures the moments that they've shared. He cares enough to keep them safe. If he needs to stand against any force just to protect them, he will do it. Just like how a wolf fights for its pack.