chapter five

October 20th, 1978 - St. Mungo's 

The Slytherin had gone to visit Moody, who had been in St. Mungo's ever since the battle in Westminster, having lost his leg due to a stray bombarda. She would've gone sooner, but she knew that someone like Madeye wanted his privacy to deal with the injury and collect himself before he allowed anyone to see him. 

The two were alike in that sense. 

Nevertheless, the older wizard looked happy to see her walk into his room that morning, claiming that he'd been surrounded by nothing but incompetent people for the past week, and was in need of smarter company, "They try to push some sort of therapy on me, did I tell you that?" he asked, "And I told them, I didn't need to talk when I lost my eye, I certainly don't need to talk now," 

The brunette rolled her eyes at that, "Looks like you're scratching off limbs fast, Moods, sooner or later you'll be nothing but artificial parts," she teased him 

The Head Auror scowled at her, "How're things in the free world? Ready for the exam tomorrow?"

Nephera, James, and Sirius, as well as every other Auror in training, were set to take their exams tomorrow, the ones who would deem them actual Aurors instead of trainees, "You know I could've taken that exam and passed three years ago," she drawled, "Who's supervising them if you're stuck here?" 

"No clue, actually, but I'm sure the new Minister has set something up. Speaking of him, I heard he called you in," 

She laughed, remembering how easily she had gotten the poor man to fall for her tricks and ploys, "He did, wanted to talk to me in person, apparently. Needless to say that I made sure he knows both about his son's true intentions, and about Dumbledore's," 

Moody still wasn't sure where he stood in regards to Albus Dumbledore. On one hand, he had known him for a very long time, and that kind of history was hard to overcome, on the other hand, he had started to look at Dumbledore through a different eye ever since last Christmas, where he had tried to throw Nephera in prison.

The brunette knew this, and for that reason felt like she could trust the Head Auror with most things, one of them being her plan with Crouch, or that summer, where Albus was caught lying once more about what was truly hidden in the catacombs of Paris. Some things she still kept in the dark, like Regulus being a spy, but she knew she could rely on Moody for the most part. 

Alastor scoffed, "Using a man's own son against him, you're cruel, Winchester, but you're exactly what we need to win this damn thing," 

That phrase stirred something inside her, even though she knew Moody did not mean it as an insult but rather a compliment. In truth, Nephera did not care for many people, she didn't care for the vague notion of what was right and what was wrong. She only cared for three things: 

Herself, getting revenge for Ellie and Tony and keeping those she had grown to call a family safe. 

Apart from that, the rest of the world could go up in flames and she wouldn't even bat an eye at the sight. So what she had done with Crouch, while cruel, did not bother her much, if at all. 

It did, however, make her question whether or not she was a hypocrite. After all, she did hate Dumbledore for using people as his pawns with no care of what happens to them. 

Yet she did the exact same thing, and she didn't even feel bad about it. 

A lump started to form in her throat as her thoughts were swarmed in panic over whether or not she was a good person, and she knew she had to leave before she broke down in front of Moody, "I need to go," she said, standing up from the armchair, "I promised Monty and Mia I'd visit today,"