chapter twenty-five

May 6th, 1979 - James and Lily's Apartment 

Sirius wouldn't lie to himself, that last meeting with Nephera had hurt his pride. Deeply, it had hurt his pride deeply. However, he wasn't about to let her get one over him, no, this was a competition by that point, and he was intended to win. That's why, that Thursday night, he had gathered the marauders to James's apartment, because he needed a plan, and a strong one. 

"Alright, she got one over me, but you know what? This isn't over," he stated, clapping his hands together, "Now, she got to Leon, she did this on purpose because she knew it would annoy me, so I need to do the same. Now, who is the one person that will really annoy Nephera?" 

The other three boys were staring at their best friend with wide eyes and open mouths, mostly because Sirius was acting like an insane person more than anything else, "Well, you could talk to her," tried Peter, "Apologise, get back together," 

"No, absolutely not. I do that, and I lose," 

James groaned, rubbing a hand over his face, "This is so toxic," he whispered, and Remus nodded in return 

The werewolf was the only one who knew exactly what was going on, and why Nephera had pushed them all away after Sirius broke up with her. 

Loss. 

Heartbreak. 

Betrayal. 

He was the only one the witch had talked to about what the Fortune Teller had shared with her, and about how she didn't want to believe it at first. However, after Monty and Mia's deaths, and now Sirius's break up, the Fortune Teller had been two for two. Meaning that Nephera was expecting someone to betray her, and so she decided to hurt them before they could hurt her. 

However, Remus couldn't very well share the rest of that with anyone else, for Nephera would definitely find out if he did, and that would only result in her pushing them away even further than she already had. If that was even possible, that is. 

"Come on people, I need names," urged Sirius, "Oh, I got it, Claire, that girl from the Order," 

"I don't know, mate, Nephie was never a jealous person," James attended to reason with him, "Now listen, don't you think you're uh- not really processing this?" 

Sirius stared at his brother, "Processing it how?" he asked 

Remus decided to take a much more blunt approach to the entire situation, "You're not sleeping, you're drinking and smoking more than ever," he listed off, "And you're acting as though you're not still worried about her, when we all know you are," 

The raven-haired boy scoffed, rolling his eyes, "Why would I be worried about her? She's made it quite obvious she doesn't want me wasting time over stupid things such as her safety, or you know, whether she lives or dies," 

An involuntary shudder went through him at those words, but he ignored it just like most things those days. Remus had hit it on the nose, although he'd never admit it out loud, but he was worried about Nephera, of course he was worried. Not only if she got attacked, but due to her behaviour. 

He didn't want to show it though, because showing it would mean that he'd have to deal with the guilt he had been carrying around, the guilt that told him it was all his fault, "Pads, be honest," said Peter 

"I am, alright? I don't understand why you lot even care, she's been a bitch to you too," 

James had had enough, "It's a coping mechanism and everyone here knows it. And what you're doing is a coping mechanism as well, and it's eating you up just like it is her,"