chapter sixteen

January 10th, 1979 - Gideon's old apartment 

The new year had arrived, and yet not much had changed in the wizarding world. Voldemort was still alive, Death Eaters were still running rampant around the wizarding world, wreaking havoc, and Nephera was still being hunted. 

Despite that, the brunette refused to go into hiding. Call it spite, call it stupidity, call it protectiveness over her friends, but she wouldn't be cowering in front of the Dark Wizard, not now, and not ever. Still, she had become much more careful in her day-to-day life. Gone were the short trips to Knockturn Alley- or any part of the wizarding world, for that matter. 

Currently, she was in Gideon's old apartment, the one the redhead had graciously offered as headquarters for the Minister's task force, the one that was focused on locating and killing Voldemort, and the one that Crouch had appointed Nephera in charge of. 

"Alright," she announced, looking at the rest of the members, "I know there's some confusion so as to why we've had to relocate," 

There were about ten members in the team, some Nephera knew and trust, some she hadn't heard of before seeing the roster. 

James, Frank, the Prewetts, and Alice, she knew and trusted with her life. However, there was one added Auror to the mix, an older woman in her late thirties if Nephera had to guess, Monica DeGrieff. 

The brunette hadn't heard that name before, but when she'd asked Moody, the Head Auror said she was a very strong individual. Nephera trusted Moody, especially his judgement of character, but he had known DeGrieff for years, and that alone could impair his perception of her. 

In a world where you didn't know who was working with who, in a world where she was constantly hunted, Nephera wasn't about to take any chances, "Before I divulge any information, I'll need everyone here to sign this piece of parchment," she clicked her fingers, and it appeared on the table in front of her, "It's nothing to be scared of, merely a precaution that I think everyone here can understand why it's necessary. As long as no one here is working with Voldemort, you'll be just fine. If you are, or if you decide to do so in the future, well, this promises a long and painful death no one can save you from," 

James, Fabian, Gideon, Frank and Alice, who knew Nephera the best, barely bat an eye at her statement, immediately picking up the quill and signing their names under. The witch wasn't looking at them though, she knew where their allegiances lie, she was staring right into Monica's eyes. 

Seemingly unnerved under Nephera's gaze, the older witch rushed to pick up the quill as well and quickly wrote her name down, "Excellent," grinned the brunette, "It is impossible to know who is working with who these days, better safe than sorry. Now, James, what's the latest?" 

The curly-haired boy dropped on an old armchair, dust flying everywhere, "It's impossible to find a loophole. I've combed through it thousands of times, if we're investigating the house of a ministry employee, they need to be notified," 

Currently, they were trying to think of ways to raid Malfoy Manor, for Nephera, as well as everyone else who was part of the Order, knew that this was where Voldemort was most probably hiding. However, there was one issue that prevailed, one issue that the Order didn't have. 

As a legal Ministry task force, they had to obey the law. Meaning, they not only had to ask permission from the Minister to conduct such a high-profile raid but also notify Malfoy himself. By the time they did all that, Voldemort would've relocated, "Alright, I'll go over them myself as well, and talk to Crouch, there's bound to be something that could be done," 

Gideon stepped up, "on better news, Fab, Monica and I followed up on that tip from last night," 

"The one linking you-know-who to the abandoned castle in Scotland?" asked Alice