chapter forty-six

October 30th, 1979 - Order safe house 

It would be the first time Nephera was seeing Dumbledore in two months, and if she was honest, she hadn't missed him at all. In fact, she could go the rest of her life without seeing him and she was positive the sun would shine a little brighter in his absence. Alas, that wasn't an option at the moment, as Moody was filling her in on everything that had happened in Britain while she was abroad. 

She had missed the Head Auror, Moody was one of the few people that didn't look at her crazy when she informed him of just what she'd done during her mission in the States, he was one of the few people that understood what it took, "He's been gaining ground, his influence over the Ministry is much stronger now," explained the old wizard, "Auror office is practically in shackles, we can't do anything without approval," 

"Approval from who?" 

Moody's eyes darkened as he scoffed, "Dolohov," 

"You're joking, right?" she scoffed as well, "Is Crouch an idiot, or has he simply given up?" 

"Both, I reckon," sighed Moody, "You weren't there when the Ministry got news of your 'death', Winchester... Most people took it hard, those not working for Voldemort, at least, Crouch was no different," 

Nephera knew that already, she had read the articles of the Prophet, most of them singing her praises and expressing 'deep sadness over the defeat the wizarding world faced'. As ironic as it sounded, it had boosted her ego greatly, "I think it's time to come back, rock him slightly," she sighed, raking her eyes over the room out of habit, "I already sent him a little message..." 

"Message?" 

"A man that's been tortured to madness, bearing a little riddle, pun intended," 

A grunt made its way up Moody's throat, something that Nephera had long since learned to interpret as amusement, "Well, the second you do, I'll be happy to welcome you back into the Auror office. Merlin knows we need someone capable other than myself there," 

Nephera's retort was cut short as the Headmaster walked into the room, her eyes rolling out of instinct as she moved to stand next to Sirius. She didn't know why she felt the need to gravitate towards her friends, but for the first time in her life, she felt slightly out of place in an Order meeting. She knew that just like Riddle, Dumbledore would have gained ground during her absence, and that fact alone made her deeply uncomfortable, "Everyone, calm down," his voice rang through the room, "We have a lot to go over tonight," 

The past two months had been fun for Dumbledore. He didn't have Nephera fucking everything up for him, he had someone spying on her, telling him her every move, and he had finally regained his control over the Order. Until everything came crashing down, that is. Emily Gids had disappeared off the face of the earth, and Nephera was back and better than ever. What a joy. 

"Indeed there are," spoke up the brunette, not letting him gain too much control of the room, "Albus," she nodded, her smile dripping with venom 

"Ms. Winchester, a pleasure to have you back," 

The tension between the two of them could be cut with a knife by that point, and everyone waited with bated breath to see how it would unravel. It had been a long time since they watched the two butt heads, and to say it was interesting would be an understatement, "I'm sure it is," she smirked, "Well, best get on with what everyone's been waiting for, the rundown of the mission in the States," 

Dumbledore couldn't very well deny that, for he too wanted to find out what had gone down. He had been getting the reports from Gids, but something about them seemed off. There was not enough blood involved in those reports, not in the slightest bit, "We hit five different chapters, New Orleans, New York, LA, Chicago, and Salem. A total of a hundred and forty nine Death Eaters, the majority of which were in Salem first, New Orleans second,"