chapter fifty-three

December 23rd, 1979 - Auror Office

Nephera had been fully-reinstated in the Auror office for ten days now, and she could not be happier. She knew it wasn't fully healthy, the way she chased the adrenaline that could only be found when her life was in danger, but she couldn't help it. Besides, wasn't that what Boron had told her? To be more positive and shit?

She was no closer to figuring out what hole her parents had crawled into, despite how much she thought of it. It was the first thing on her mind when she woke up, and the last thing she thought of when she fell asleep, the reason why? Nephera was scared. Terrified, actually, of her father. Sure, she acted tough and nonchalant, and as though she had the upper hand, but the reality was, she didn't, not by a longshot. Riddle had dealt a good blow, she knew it, and worse of all, he knew it.

She had retaliated by cutting him off from Knockturn Alley, he couldn't get his hands on anything over there, but there were many Dark Markets around the world Riddle could go to, and her father had connections in almost all of them.

That was the thing about Castiel and Nephera Winchester, they were almost carbon copies of one another, the good, the bad, and the ugly. While that helped in many cases, for she knew exactly what to do to get to him, he also knew how to retaliate to that in a way that would hurt.

A knock on her office door broke her out of her thoughts, and she shook her head, realizing that she'd been staring at paperwork for the past twenty minutes, "Winchester," came the gruff voice of Moody, "We've got two of them in, I need someone to interrogate,"

There was no question on who them was, Death Eaters. James had led the mission that morning, it was an easy ambush, the idiots were nothing but low-levels, "On it," she sighed, rolling her eyes

Needless to say, she was in charge of most interrogations these days. Normally, she would've been jumping at the chance to break someone's mind, turn them into their own worst enemy, solve the puzzle of what they're afraid of, and use it against them to get them to spill all their secrets. The one problem? It was far too easy, mostly because the one thing Death Eaters were most afraid of, was her. They typically broke down when she walked into a room, she didn't even have to lift a finger.

It might sound counterintuitive, but she missed the days she still had to prove herself as a force to be reckoned with. Grabbing the file from Moody, she walked into the room where one of them was being held, pushing open the heavy iron door, "Jeremiah Hargrove," she announced, flipping open the file, "Salazar, your parents really hated you didn't they?"

The man's eyes widened as he cowered in his seat, the metal chair beneath him creaking when he shifted his weight backward, trying to get as far away as possible from her, "Shit," he gasped

"Shit indeed, my friend, shit indeed," she sighed mockingly, "Now, we can do this the easy way, or the way I'll enjoy the most, your pick, truly,"

She could tell he was thinking it over, his loyalty for Voldemort weighing against his fear for what was to come if he didn't give her the information needed. In the end, he went for the idiotic route, the very idiotic route, "You can't do anything in here, we're in the middle of the Ministry," he spat, although the way he was bouncing his leg proved how nervous he was

A smile of false sympathy etched onto her face, she flicked her wrist, revealing a table in the room, "Naivety, how endearing," she smiled, "Where to begin?"

In the meantime, Sirius was handling the future group of Aurors, showing them around the compound. They were seventh-years at Hogwarts coming into the training program in June right after they graduate, but due to the war, they would start some training over the Christmas break, mostly reading up on strategies. Sirius disagreed with that fully, most of them had just turned seventeen, and they shouldn't be thrown into the mess of the world yet.