chapter twenty-two

note: buckle the fuck up lmao (i'm so sorry) (i really am) (i wish i could say it'll get better from here but uh...) 

April 5th, 1979 - Ministry of Magic 

It had been a long time since Nephera had visited the Ministry of Magic and the Auror office. Given the fact that undercover Death Eaters were crawling around, Death Eaters who had direct orders to kill her on sight, she had begun to work remotely. 

However, when Moody owled her and told her that he had a short mission for her to go on, she couldn't say no. She knew she tended to chase the adrenaline, but then again, there were worst things to be addicted to than that. Still, she had her eyes peeled for any familiar and highly unpleasant phases as she entered the elevator, but thankfully, there were only two girls there. 

Unthankfully, those girls seemed to be part of the Auror training program. The same Auror training program Sirius happened to be leading, "Oh, be more obvious, would you?" said one of them 

"What?" asked the other, adjusting her rather low-cut top to show even more cleavage, far more than what was appropriate for work, "You can't tell me you don't want him to notice you, he's the definition of sex on legs," 

Now, normally Nephera wouldn't have any sort of issue with girls dressing provocatively in order to get their way. Hell, she herself had done it one too many times to count so she truly was in no place to judge. 

However, when it dawned on her that the him they were talking about was, in fact, Sirius, she damn near fumed with anger, "I won't argue on that... But, Angela, isn't he dating someone? There's no way someone like him isn't taken," 

"Whether he is or isn't dating someone is none of my concern. Besides, he won't remember the bitch's name when I'm done with him," retorted the second one again, this time fluffing up her curls and laughing maniacly 

Don't hit her, don't hit her, don't hit her, kept thinking the brunette. The elevator screeched to a stop, saving the two girls, although Nephera couldn't refrain from sending a non-verbal and wandless hex the girl's way, making her coffee explode in her hand, "What the hell?" she yelled, looking at her friend, unable to understand what had happened 

I didn't hit her, though Nephera with a slight smirk as she continued walking down the long hallway all the way to Moody's office, "Morning," she greeted 

"Don't get ahead of yourself," grunted Moody, "Not until you see who's going to be accompanying you on this mission-" 

The door opened again, "Bonjour," came the voice of Leon 

Nephera inwardly groaned. The French Auror had always had a crush on her, it was painfully obvious and something she liked to tease Sirius with. He wasn't pushy in any way, no, the problem was that he tended to go on really long rants about himself, rants that the witch had no interest in listening to. 

She shot Moody a look, and he responded with an apologetic one back, "Ah, Nephera, 'ow are you?" asked Leon 

"I'm good," she replied as politely as she could, "What's the mission?" 

The mission was a much less exciting one than she had hoped for, only having to do with observation and gathering intel, but at that point, she'd take whatever she could. 

Nephera knew she should get out of there as fast as possible, lest she ran into Malfoy or something of the sort, but the witch couldn't resist stopping by to see Sirius, and maybe- just maybe- see those two girls from the elevator again. 

The Auror training center was located a few short turns away from Moody's office, and even from afar she could hear her wizard yelling at the trainees to run faster and work harder, "What's going on here?" she asked, walking into the room