chapter thirty-six

September 1st, 1979 - New Orleans 

New Orleans was an interesting city, or at least that's what Nephera thought as she stared out the window of her hotel room that morning. The wizarding community here was far from hidden, no, they existed in plain sight amongst the muggles. However, as usual, the muggles all thought it was fact, a tourist trap, or simply a belief with no basis. 

She moved to her bag, the one with the undetectable extension charm that held on her clothes, books, and the tenebris wand, sticking her hand inside and shifting through the contents until she found the notebook Ailani had given her. In her will, the Hawaiian witch had left quite a few stuff to Nephera, but the most important was by far the leather-bound notebook. 

It included a list of all of Ailani's contacts around the world, as well as instructions on where to find them and how to approach them. There were three in total located in New Orleans, but one of them clearly had a bigger reach than the rest around the city. That's where they'd be heading today, to hopefully get a list of names and addresses of potential Death Eaters in the city. 

There was, however, one problem with New Orleans, a rather big one at that. Vampires had taken over the city a few hundred years ago, and their still held a tight reign over it. The muggles lived in peace, unaware of what crawled around, the wizards and witches, weren't so lucky. The Vampires feared them, and with fear, came repression. 

So, Nephera was burdened with the task of conducting business in unknown territory, while trying to keep out of the Death Eater's radar and not get spotted by Vampires. 

Easy, right? 

No, not at all. It had been a while since she'd been presented with a challenge, though, and she welcomed it heartily. 

A knock sounded on the door, and there was no question so as to who it was. Only one person there knew her well enough to approach her in such a manner, Peter, "Morning, Pete," she greeted after opening the door with a flick of her wrist 

"Morning," drawled the mousy boy, handing her a coffee, "You weren't at breakfast," 

"I was looking over the plan for the day, are the rest up and ready?" 

He nodded, joining her to look out of the window, "We're not letting any of them go, are we?" he asked, taking in a deep breath, "We're killing all the Death Eaters?" 

The brunette turned her head, locking her eyes with his, "It's about time we give Riddle a taste of his own medicine," she spat, and the boy was slightly taken aback by the sharp look in her eyes, "Get the others, we need to get a move on," 

The mousy boy moved to do as he was told, before he was stopped by the girl's voice, "Oh, and Pete?" she called out, "Thank you, for volunteering and all that," 

In all the years Peter Pettigrew had been friends with Nephera, he had never once heard her say she was grateful for something. Granted, there weren't that many things for the girl to be grateful for, considering everything she'd been through, and it took him by suprise. 

He knew it was hard for her, to say those words, she had been taught to never do so. He also knew that this was the most vulnerable Nephera had appeared in a long time, and he didn't want to overwhelm her, so he settled for a small smile and nod, before leaving to call upon the others. 

Not a minute later, Peter was walking back into the room, accompanied by Derek, Rory, Dorcas, and Emily, "Well don't you look jolly today," grinned Rory, taking note of the scowl on the girl's face 

"McLaggen, looks like you got a good night's sleep," she pointed out 

"Oh, like a baby, what with the bed bugs and all,"